AuthorTopic: Romulus and Remus mockup  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Romulus and Remus mockup

on: June 27, 2017, 02:32:56 pm
Hey all,

I'm currently working on a platformer mockup based on Romulus and Remus, the two brothers (twins) that founded Rome.

How are the characters reading? I wasn't sure too sure on the hair, or the colours chosen. Any tips would be appreciated.

Clothing based on: http://www.crystalinks.com/romulusvultures1.jpg

My current plan for this mockup is to have the two brothers on the left, and then a wolf (or some monster/enemy) on the right. Other than that, it'll be quite bare.

Offline basstabs

• View Profile

Re: Romulus and Remus mockup

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 02:52:49 pm
Well, I'm no pixel art expert, but I'd have no issue playing a game with those sprites in it :) I think they're quite good~

One thing I'd recommend is maybe moving the left arm just a tiny bit ahead, maybe so you can see another column of pixels on the hand. Right now at native res it seems a tad small. Or maybe instead of making it bigger you can lighten it up a bit. I know it's a hand based on my knowledge of human anatomy, but it doesn't QUITE read as one to me, it's a bit too small and/or dark.

There's also a very slight bit of weirdness with the tunic near the right hand, it looks to me like there should maybe be a few transparent pixels in places where there are colored ones. Specifically right beneath the thumb and to the right of the fingers, notice at native res it looks like they have a lump on the outside of their leg.

All in all lovely work!

Offline Sersch

• @moi_rai_
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:28:00 pm
not sure if its just me but the face looks like it is occupying a little bit too much space of the head. While it is common to have unproportional big heads in pixel art, just having a big face looks a bit odd to me.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:49 pm
Well, I'm no pixel art expert, but I'd have no issue playing a game with those sprites in it :) I think they're quite good~

One thing I'd recommend is maybe moving the left arm just a tiny bit ahead, maybe so you can see another column of pixels on the hand. Right now at native res it seems a tad small. Or maybe instead of making it bigger you can lighten it up a bit. I know it's a hand based on my knowledge of human anatomy, but it doesn't QUITE read as one to me, it's a bit too small and/or dark.

There's also a very slight bit of weirdness with the tunic near the right hand, it looks to me like there should maybe be a few transparent pixels in places where there are colored ones. Specifically right beneath the thumb and to the right of the fingers, notice at native res it looks like they have a lump on the outside of their leg.

All in all lovely work!

Thanks for the recommendations. I've tried to do what you said.  I think it looks much clearer!

left is old, right is new:

not sure if its just me but the face looks like it is occupying a little bit too much space of the head. While it is common to have unproportional big heads in pixel art, just having a big face looks a bit odd to me.

I'll have a play around with that :) Thanks for letting me know.

------

Update:

- amended characters a little and started to work on the cyclops

Update 2:

- more work on cyclops. Any thoughts would be helpful.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:27:52 am by Quake »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:16 pm
Slowly making progress.

Thoughts on the grass?

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48008.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:53:41 pm
Very nice!  :y: :lol:

About the grass, I think it looks good. it might benefit from having some vegetation a little taller in front of/behind the characters to make the ground a little less flat

kinda like this, but much more discrete
Bring it on!!

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:32:30 am
Very nice!  :y: :lol:

About the grass, I think it looks good. it might benefit from having some vegetation a little taller in front of/behind the characters to make the ground a little less flat

kinda like this, but much more discrete

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I completely agree with it looking flat. I'll work on adding some 'shrubbery' so it looks better.

Currently in the process of fine-tuning:

old ----- legs done ----- potential sling thing