AuthorTopic: [WIP] first attempt at a female character. Any pointers would be appreciated.  (Read 2555 times)

Offline immortalwombat

• View Profile
This is my first go at a female Character. Just looking for some direction/pointers.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:50:17 pm by immortalwombat »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
Hm. I'm not really sure what to pick up on first here. Try to find a reference of a real gal to draw from, and try to work on your hands some. Fingers are too rod-straight and there's a lot of inconsistencies in her anatomy here. Obviously you don't need to shoot for 100% realism, but understanding how chesticles and hips work will do a lot for making believable stylizations.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Silenia

• View Profile
Aye, anatomy could use some work.

On the more pixel-art technical side of things, some of the colours you use are so close together that even at 8x zoom they're hard to tell apart. (I'm thinking in particular of the pink used below the outline of the (viewer's) left arm vs. the blue of the background; as well as the two blues used in the shadow. There's a few other cases, too, though those two were the worst I spotted) You've also got some jaggies especially on the hips.

Offline immortalwombat

• View Profile
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll see what I can do.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile
Your pose is a bit wonky. Unless that staff is stabbed nice and deep into the ground she's gonna fall backwards :P

Knees together and hands on hips is a bit of a weird direction body language wise. I think pick your personality and run with it. Right now she's a badass on the top and a scared little girl on the bottom.

Biggest anatomy things to look out for: She has no back, her rib cage should extend out under the armpit. The arms are awkwardly shaped, too short, very flat. Her rear eye is too far across, and consequently her cheek is too far out, bring it all back in a few pixels. The rear boob is too far out in the same manner as the eye, looks like it's connected to her shoulder.

Take it easy on the hair shading, especially the highlight colour. Your contrast is way too high to be using that much highlight. A little sheen will serve you much better.

Offline immortalwombat

• View Profile
Hello all, Decided I'd post a progress update. I've attempted to address a few contrast issues as well as and more curve to the hips and breast to make her looks less square. I also toned down the hair highlights but I'm honestly thinking i liked the way they were before. Maybe since there's not so much contrast it would work better now? Still in the process of improving the arms, hands and face a bit more. (hands are a struggle for me.) I'm also going to give her a more powerful/more spread out stance. Thanks again for your help. I feel like I've improved quite a bit since i first started posting on here thanks to good ol' constructive criticism.