AuthorTopic: Attack Animation - Help & Critique  (Read 2918 times)

Offline poink

• View Profile

Attack Animation - Help & Critique

on: June 24, 2017, 12:56:03 pm
Hi!
Im new here, hope I did everything right.
I just started with pixelart, can anybody give me some advice or critique to improve this animation?

thanks!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:38:03 pm by poink »

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Attack Animation - Help & Critique

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:51:47 am
You could benefit from one more frame post swing, to emphasize the ease out.  And, for what its worth,  you could put some more creativity into the 'drag' frame.  I don't know if it's even possible to find a pixel art attack animation that doesn't use a drag.  It's grown boring.  It's not exactly a fair critique, I use it myself in every animation I've done so far, but it is definitely becoming that makes me cringe as of late.  It does definitely look solid though overall.
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:05 pm
Edit:
I think the most important change I made is timing, I made the anticipation frames take longer and the slash frame shorter. This makes it feel more elastic, a long wind up and a short execution makes it feel stronger. Of course if you want it to be a weaker attack then you have to weaken the anticipation.

Another thing i tried to do is have some restoration frames, so when they are done with the attack, they have to get back to their normal position.  I don't think they are really mandatory, but I think it would improve your animation anyway.
You get in the bowl

Offline poink

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:33:56 pm
Thanks for your reply!

@Schwee: I tried to add a second post swing frame and indeed it looks a lot better. You are right about the drag frame, i will work on it :)

@CFKaligula: it looks much smoother.

Im using this animations for a game im making in my free time and the artwork is driving me nuts sometimes, so every critique is welcome :).

Offline poink

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:46 pm

A little bit better i think.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:10:30 pm by poink »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:36:05 pm
That also works, but remember, more frames = more memory and usually also more time, because you have to draw them all. So for a large project you usually wan't to have as few frames as possible (while still looking good ofc).
You get in the bowl