AuthorTopic: Hello I am stumped as to ease in / out settings  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile

Hello I am stumped as to ease in / out settings

on: June 22, 2017, 06:09:21 pm
Hi folks This is quite embarrassing as I remember knowing how to do this and used it many many many times in the past, but I have not used flash is so many years I have forgotten what I am meant to do.

Ok my issue is I have thee most simplest animation you could think of , a square, moves from one side of the screen to the other.

All i want is the box to slow down as it gets to end then begin to speed up again as it moves back.. same with the other side.

No matter what ease settings i put the box never eases right, or just dose weird things

my animation is like this
200 frames

Frame1 ----------------------------Frame100------------------------Frame200
(Box to left Keyframe)            (Box to center keyframe)            (Box to right)

What ease setting must i put?
I have been at this for an hour trying combinations of 100 ease in on frame 1, or ease out ,, or on frame 100 all of them only 2 arg i cant do it.. can someone pleases help             

Things i have tried
Frame1 - Ease in 100%
Frame100 - None
Frame200 - Ease in 100%

Frame1 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame100 - None
Frame200  - Ease in 100%

Frame1 - Ease in 100%
Frame100 - Ease in 100%
Frame200  - None

Frame1 - None
Frame100 - Ease in 100%
Frame200  - Ease in 100%

Frame1- none
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200   - Ease in 100%

Frame1   - Ease in 100%
Frame100   - Ease in 100%
Frame200 - none

Frame1 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200  - none

Frame1   - Ease in 100%
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200  - none

Frame1 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200   - none

Frame1- none
Frame100
Frame200

Frame1- none
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200  - Ease OUT 100%

Frame1- none
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%

Frame1- none
Frame200    - Ease in 100%

Frame1- none
Frame100 - Ease OUT 100%
Frame200     - Ease in 100%

Frame1- none
Frame100    - Ease in 100%

Frame1- none
Frame100- none

Frame1- none
Frame100- none
Frame200  -  - Ease in 100%

Frame1-  - Ease in 100%
Frame100- none

Frame1- none
Frame100- Ease OUT 100%

etc.. etc I have quite literally lost count with the amount of combinations I have tried.

All I want is the box to slow down (ease) as its gets to both sides to the screen

If i have not explained what i am trying to do can you see this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTaX4u-Z_k

Notice how the pendulum slows down as it gets to the right of the scree, then speeds up as it starts its return, gets to a max speed point around center, then starts to slow down on the other said, then speed up as it begins its return..

My test is not on a pendulum so there is no swinging motion. its just a box moving from one side of the screen to the other and back again in a looped animation.

dose anyone know the correct ease settings i must put for frames 1, 100 and 200?

all my test the box either dose it right on one side, but the other side it suddenly turns back its motion, other times it dose weird jittering in the center, other settings it just dose no easing at all.. i am absolutely pulling my hair out with this at the moment.

I need to get this figured out as its part of a project due by next weekend

Unfortunately I cannot offer anyone money who can explain this to me, however this is related to a game project and whoever can explain what I am doing wrong will get their name in the game credits for sure.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:01:09 pm by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Hello I am stumped as to ease in / out settings

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:06:20 am
I haven't used flash in a while so it's going to depend on what they call ease in and what they call ease out (both can mean either thing depending on context :blind:)

But either way you're going to want

Frame 0-ease in (or maybe out but probably in)
Frame 100- nothing
Frame 200- ease out (or in if it's the other way around)

You may want to try numbers less than 100%. You also theoretically don't even need a centre frame.

Take a look at the motion graph to see what's going on when you change each of the properties.

Good luck, someone who actually uses flash might pop in to help but hopefully that pushes you in the right direction :y:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:13:57 am
Yo Tycho!
I'm using Flash pretty much everyday.
@32 is right, the meaning of EaseIn EaseOut is often reversed by animators and softwares.
No one agrees.

It can either mean:
Ease In to final position = slow to a stop
or
Ease Out of motion = slow to a stop

So try reverse you're idea of what you think it means and that might help you be in tune with Flash's definition.
Also check the help file, it probs defines how Flash uses the terms.

This doesn't answer your question, but personally I don't use the EaseIn EaseOut sliders.
I prefer to control easing manually with keyframes.
Here's how:

But do what works for you man.
Good luck!
 :)

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:00 am
Heyup 32 and PixelPiledriver

Wowzers thanks so much for the help and going through the trouble and time with your images there too.

Yup, as soon as I realized it was in-between the key frames the easing is meant to go. the whole easing method started to re-surface in my memories from using flash. I think I was more frustrated that I should have known this.

Also my server was down last night (still is) so I was not able to post any pics of what I meant.

Ok so I managed to get the animation I want, but hehe, I have run into another problem with Flash that perhaps you might be able to advice or help me on. I have the animation setup in flash, but am having great difficulty exporting this out as png frames that contain the underlying animation within a timeline.

To explain this a bit clearer and to use an example, i have a symbol (mc), in that symbol are 3 frames of a bat flapping its wings., outside of that timeline I then animate that mc so its doing what I was explaining in my first post (side to side motion).. the trouble is when I export as avi, gif, png frames.(Whatever) all I ever see is the first frame of the mc stuck, but the mc itself is moving fine (in other words the mc is moving from side to side fine, but its not animated the wings)

If i go to "publish" rather then "export"  ... my only option there is gif (since this export is intended to be imported into a game engine for a game project) .. this gif seems to export with the wings flapping fine + the movement but its exporting at like 10fps or something when I have the project set at 60fps (its a 300 frame animation)
I also have a major issue with gif in that the 3 frame wing animation is using 2 step alpha on its wing edges to simulate wing blur.. why i bother with alpha? because the reason for this animation is it will be moved up across a background (in game) that background contains regions of bright and dark so the alpha edges on the wings are the only way the blurring will look ok over dark/light colors.

In short I have the animation I want, but its stuck in flash and I cant get it out of flash in the way I need.

This animation is basically 2 bats moving in to each other then back, over 300frames... this sequence will then be used in a game engine so it will be animated to go up in a sky background following the camera pan.. .the idea is to have the two bats ascend in a sort of double helix way into the sky.

Unfortunately I cant show you anything, give you my .fla since my server is down.

I am glad to hear your a daily user, I left flash behind round the same time as the web standards turned it's nose up at it. There has to date not been any web developing tool that is in anyway way remotely close to flash for its power in an "artists" hands (as apposed to coder), and I think its an almost criminal shame it has fallen out of web standards.

EDIT: might be worth noting, because I am an ultra modern kinda guy I use flash mx 8 from the macromedia glory days. Not sure what export options have been implemented into flash by adobe since those golden years
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:34:58 am by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:03:29 am
I am glad to hear your a daily user, I left flash behind round the same time as the web standards turned it's nose up at it. There has to date not been any web developing tool that is in anyway way remotely close to flash for its power in an "artists" hands (as apposed to coder), and I think its an almost criminal shame it has fallen out of web standards.
Fo sho.
It's still great for compositing and object/nesting based animation.
I'm using it to combine pixel animations and tweak timing more flexibly.

Yep MoveClips don't export.
Which is a huge pain in the ass.
You need this: http://swfrenderer.kurst.co.uk/
It's cheap, just do it.

Alongside Flash, I'm using this nearly everyday to export my animations from it for test and final assets.
It spits out pngs of EXACTLY how the swf looks.
Then I use GraphicsGale to combine them into a gif.
Works great!
 :y: :)

EDIT: might be worth noting, because I am an ultra modern kinda guy I use flash mx 8 from the macromedia glory days. Not sure what export options have been implemented into flash by adobe since those golden years
I use CS3.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:13:41 am
Cheers for the link there, looking into it.
I just managed to get a screen record (not ideal for game use) done just for demonstration reasons of what I am trying to do.
https://youtu.be/r3t4fp8IYMI
(you wont see the 60fps without choosing 720p on the youtube settings)

Youtube messed about with the rate consistency, but I guess you can get the general idea of what im trying to do.

Apparently there is a method to converting the mc's to graphic symbols, however I have not had much luck with that, so this swfrenderer might be the thing to finally sort this out

cheers again

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:52 am
Yep you can use Graphics instead of MovieClips for most things, but that won't work in all cases.
Graphics can't use blend modes and only play within a defined timeline.
That said I use Graphics for almost everything.
But when I can't, and have to use MovieClips, SWF Renderer saves the day.

Cute bats!