AuthorTopic: RPG/2D zelda type sprite tutorials?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline iddo

• View Profile

RPG/2D zelda type sprite tutorials?

on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:32 pm
I am trying to learn how to make 2.5d type sprites but can't find any tutorials etc.

Can you give some advice or send me in the right direction?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: RPG/2D zelda type sprite tutorials?

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:22 pm
Can you post some examples of what you mean?

2.5D means many things, and I don't know of any Zelda games that are 2.5D. Do you mean isometric? 2D with parallax effects? Something else?

Have you tried anything so far? If so, please post it! It's easier to give pointers if one can see where your problems lie.

Offline iddo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:05:52 am
My apologies for being so vague.

for example

I am just learning sprite art and was told that the sprites in RPGs are 2.5d.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

The sprites I am trying to create are like that of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, or Stardew Valley.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:50:21 am
2.5D is a very broad term, it can refer to any of a large number of methods to make things look more 3D while being 2D. Some more specific terms for this is "3/4 perspective" or "RPG perspective" (even though there's no perspective), or "RPG view".

Cyangmou has a pretty good explanation of the logic behind RPG perspective in this tutorial. Make sure not to miss part 2, linked in the description.

The basic idea behind RPG perspective is that the y axis represents both depth and height, so you'll see both the fronts and tops of objects, but not the sides, bottoms, or backs. For a more natural look, you scale the depth and height by 3/4. Without the scaling, you get an oblique projection, which looks unnatural. Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of your taste as an artist. You can always fudge things if that makes them look better.

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:58:34 am
Best advice I can give, and maybe this is just me, but think of it in its parts.  You'll have the front, with the top.  The '3/4 top down' perspective is ultimately a combination of these two angles, plus overlap considered, such as the head overlapping the shoulder area.  If you don't find any specific tutorials on google, just look at other sprites and pick up their techniques!
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline iddo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:01:52 am
Okay, Thanks guys.
I really appreciate the help and clarification, seriously.