AuthorTopic: Potential Activity  (Read 11295 times)

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Potential Activity

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 08:45:41 am
Why would new people participate in the contest if they know they have no chance of winning? I know that its mostly meant to be for fun, but not everyone sees it that way. I think you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:21 am
Why would new people participate in the contest if they know they have no chance of winning? I know that its mostly meant to be for fun, but not everyone sees it that way. I think you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.

I think running two contests would help mitigate any saltiness on skill-focused artists. One for technical skills, and one randomized. However, randomization seems to be a dangerous path since people could stuff votes with quick and crappy junk art. Obviously moderation could mitigate that, and it would be neat to have kind of a "speed draw" contest to see who can pump out the most at once. Thoughts?

As for prizes, fancy hardware for sure. Donations for a prize pool would help fund neat stuff like cintiqs for bigger contests.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 11:08:18 pm
you need to randomize the winner or find a different way to make newbies have a chance of winning.

I could use Community Critiques as an entry requirement instead, then select the winner like a lottery.
Those who post critiques under multiple topics would be entered in multiple times
This encourages and gives an advantage to users with frequent activity
It also allows newbies to participate

But there'll need to be a content restriction to prevent low-effort posting, which probably leads to trolls
Similar to what situation MysteryMeat described about stuffing votes with quick, crappy junk art
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:11:43 pm by Ma3vis »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:22 am
I actually like the idea of a collaborative critique based competition. Something like all entrants submit a piece and are assigned some number of randomly selected participants who have to work with them to help develop their piece. The winner is the person who's piece shows the greatest level of improvement (decided by popular vote) rather than the "best" overall piece. Probably their assigned buddies would also get some share of the glory.

I feel like any outright competition undermines the ultimate goals of the site to a degree, but something like this would support our values.

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 07:24:43 am
I actually like the idea of a collaborative critique based competition. Something like all entrants submit a piece and are assigned some number of randomly selected participants who have to work with them to help develop their piece. The winner is the person who's piece shows the greatest level of improvement (decided by popular vote) rather than the "best" overall piece. Probably their assigned buddies would also get some share of the glory.

I feel like any outright competition undermines the ultimate goals of the site to a degree, but something like this would support our values.

This sounds great. I want! ::)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 02:19:38 pm
I also like that critique idea. It's "get your thread featured: prize edition".

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 08:29:33 pm
Well, there's one thing we discussed in the Slack earlier.. it was only a rough idea, but I'm gonna throw it out because it's awesome and I wanna do it at all costs. Some of you may have seen that we changed our Twitter handle (to @PixelationToday). Will also do a small announcement about it soon. We intend to be more active on Twitter, featuring news about activities and cool threads/art. And what I'm most excited about is, we want to do activities on a regular basis for the Twitter banner. Basically collaborations to create a cool banner. I'm guessing with a certain theme and fitting restrictions, but we'll figure that out later. Any ideas in regards to that are welcome.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 01:47:12 am
That sounds like fun crow ;D

I thought about my idea a bit more. I'm thinking maybe the best way to keep it organised and not have dozens of threads to monitor would be to group people and have it be more of a team activity where you get to help the same people who are helping you and you're all working toward a common goal.

In sign up week everyone would submit a WIP piece. Then whoever is running the thing could sort people roughly by skill (just like, novice, intermediate, advanced) and then based on that we could create a number of groups with a good mix of skill levels. Then we would create a thread for each group with the WIP pieces in the first post and the group just turns into an utter chaos of edits and updates for a month :D

At the end each person gets to vote on which group they think improved their works the most. I call it Sensei Showdown :hehe:

I wouldn't mind running something like this but I might need help from someone with some programming knowledge to do the group randomisation. We could certainly do it on a per person basis like I suggested in my previous post but I feel like that would be a lot harder to organise and critiquers would have less motivation to help the people they are assigned to.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:29 am
Another idea I had just before I passed out: something like the annual hex pixel thing but with animation, an iterative pass it along game where we start with a concept and have people animate 10 or so frames of it and try and get it to a full x-minutes length or so.
It sounds like a fun way to get some people in animation and would get an interesting collaborative result out
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 02:24:36 pm
Another idea I had just before I passed out: something like the annual hex pixel thing but with animation, an iterative pass it along game where we start with a concept and have people animate 10 or so frames of it and try and get it to a full x-minutes length or so.
It sounds like a fun way to get some people in animation and would get an interesting collaborative result out
I like this general idea, but something like this has to be done serially, by one person at a time, doesn't it? The great thing about the hexquisite corpse and most other collabs is that parts of those can be done simultaneously. And with animation, the wait times are probably going to be quite a bit longer, and later participants are likely to feel more pressure and restrictions to continue the style/story/mood set by the earlier animations.
I'd love to see an animation collab, but I think these are issues that need to be addressed for it to be more accessible and fun.

Perhaps it could be done like an animation version of PJ's ISO collabs: there is a fixed number of animation slots along the timeline, N frames each, and the first few participants can pick any slots they want, as long as they're non-adjacent. Once about 1/4~1/3 of the slots have been taken up this way and a few finished ones have been posted, later participants have to select a slot that's adjacent to a finished one (i.e. right before or after), and animate it so that their animation flows into the other. As the project gets closer to completion, people will have to fill slots that have animations just before and after them, and they might have to "blend" between two very different animations.
In this way, multiple people can work on entries at the same time, and the eventual "story" can be some hexquisite corpse-like nonsense because the animation is seeded by a larger number of animations by people who haven't yet seen each other's entries, rather than just one. Each of the three "stages" of this project (1. creating bits of animation in isolation, 2. flowing into/out from one existing animation, 3. filling in the gap between two finished animations) provides a different sort of challenge as well, which might encourage repeat entries (if those are allowed) and different stages might appeal to different people.