AuthorTopic: Potential Activity  (Read 11296 times)

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Potential Activity

on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:09 pm
Read Helm's Mod retirement thread http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=16242.0

3. More activities, challenges and commercial critiques

If there is a way to increase community activity through give-aways, competitive prizes, etc. I'd be happy to contribute

One idea so far has been paid or word-of-mouth advertisement, which while possible, does not service the users already here I think

Please offer your ideas with a response below and I'll see what I can do

Admins and Mod team have been contacted as well
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:41:30 pm by Ma3vis »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Potential Activity

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:26:50 pm
Doing a giveaway via other social media sounds like a good idea. Not sure how that would work with the website, if they would have to make an account or something.
You get in the bowl

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:12 pm
Now that I think about it: In another forum I was active a long time (ago) there was a pool of giveaways for forum activities like quizes and stuff. Everyone was able to spend for this pool. We shared old video games, shirts, figurines... it was a german community though. The shipping costs for these giveaways were paid by the new owner. It might not work this way in a world wide community.
The giveaways were ranked with points. For example, a winner of any contest could choose one gift for three points or three gifts for one.

It was quite an interesting concept.

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:36:00 pm
Giveaway does sound nice, there's some videogames and collector's stuff I can donate. I'll research some methods to put this together. But if anyone already knows of sites or ways to arrange this, post or let me know via PM.

If we're seeking new users then eventually it'll need to be advertised via social media, which will require other people's participation. Traffic can be bought on Reddit and Facebook, not sure about other sites. Also anyone should feel free to pitch in, I imagine novelty prizes would generate a more direct influence on traffic should we advertise. Right now I can throw in some videogames, magic cards and other consumer related products. Any ideas on what items should be included in the giveaway?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:16 pm
Do giveaways bring in enough people who stay to be worth it? It seems more like a way to get a lot of temporary, but ultimately worthless, exposure and a bunch of dead accounts.
I think it would be more effective to instead toss some tendrils out to other platform in the form of Twitter/Tumblr/whatever posts promoting stuff from the feature chests, weekly "good thread" features that aren't quite feature chest material, that sort of thing. Things like that are more likely to get the attention of the sorts of people who'd actually end up using the site.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:03:40 pm
I think it would be more effective to instead toss some tendrils out to other platform in the form of Twitter/Tumblr/whatever posts promoting stuff from the feature chests, weekly "good thread" features that aren't quite feature chest material, that sort of thing. Things like that are more likely to get the attention of the sorts of people who'd actually end up using the site.

That sounds really good actually!

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:55 pm
Do giveaways bring in enough people who stay to be worth it?

Directing traffic to the forums and having pixelart contributions be an entry requirement seems the best way to encourage long-term stays and discourage a flood of dead accounts. Active contributions as a prerequisite will provide an obstacle from freeloading troll accounts.

Also I'll try to maintain regular giveaways if possible, which should encourage new users to remain and win a chance at the next giveaway. Getting users to stay is more of a gamble or dice-roll, and will always be some fraction of the traffic, not all of it. It's simply more efficient to just cast a wider net with community advertising the giveaway through social media and hoping the prizes as well as the community are relevant to the users' interest.

I can do promotional stuff too, certainly demakes and retro versions of current trending or popular games drive some traffic. But this requires encouragement or some sort of payoff to create these things to drive community exposure otherwise they're very rare occurrences I would think.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:40:27 pm by Ma3vis »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:22 pm
Do giveaways bring in enough people who stay to be worth it? It seems more like a way to get a lot of temporary, but ultimately worthless, exposure and a bunch of dead accounts.

Yep, we should have been doing that for a while now. We were about to use the pixelation twitter for more than just status; just never got around to it. We can certainly start there.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:03:31 am
Could the giveaways be in a from of a free commission? Like a small sprite by one of you really good pixel artists. Then you don't have to be annoyed with shipping costs and stuff, also you only attract people who are interested in pixel art.
You get in the bowl

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:37 pm
@CFK: People who are interested in getting free art xP I thought this site's purpose was to help each other improve their own art? Getting a commission can serve to that end, but most people who do something for free art are usually just there for free art. Seen a lot of people use small freebies like that to try to promote themselves, their other projects, etc, never worked out well ):

I feel like any activity with some sort of reward is best as a little extra for people who are already on the site, not as a way of promoting the site.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:54:53 pm by eishiya »