AuthorTopic: Two sprites and a skull  (Read 5368 times)

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Re: Two sprites and a skull

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:59:07 pm
The overall silhouette of the skull is fine, right now the biggest issue is your lighting and some minor anatomy problems. You should try thinking about the skull in terms of a sphere, with the sides being flat as shown with sketch.

Since the lighting is coming from above, it should be creating a sort of gradient; with the jaw being the darkest
 and continuing with the top of the cranium being the lightest, since it's receiving the light head-on (ahaaaa)

Would really recommend looking at references for the skull so you can pick up on the anatomy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:05:00 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 10:15:41 pm
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if I plan on revisiting the skull anytime soon, since I'm not planning on using it for anything, but if and when I do this is sure to be helpful.

A couple points:
  • I did in fact use a reference, though looking at it now I strayed from it a whole bunch:
  • I also visualized the cranium as a sphere with flat sides (and a face, natch) when first drawing it, so any lighting problems I have there are probably more fundamental ><
  • Are any of the anatomy issues better in the most recent (more candy-colored) skull? I feel like the eye sockets at least are better proportioned, and the shading on the side of the head is at least a slight improvement, though the nose is still too far down, and the jaw hinge is still somewhat whacked up. Beyond those I'm not sure what's anatomy errors and what's bad lighting.

Offline LoreSmyth

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:34:04 am
On the shaman buste, I think the style from the chest/torso differs too much from how you render the face (which has more shading). I think it can be very interesting to keep all your sprites very flat, sort of cell shaded. At least I would choose a uniform style. Right now the torso looks unfinished, because the face has more shading.

Offline Portokal

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:41 pm
@LoreSmyth: you're right, it's inconsistent. I do think cell-shading can look cool, but I'm worried about taking too stylized an approach here, since I'm very much still learning to draw and it might make it too easy to just brush anatomy/whatever errors under the rug. To that end, here's a somewhat more muscular edit:

Not really happy with the shading on the abs.