AuthorTopic: [C+C] Waist-up portrait  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

[C+C] Waist-up portrait

on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:51 pm
Hiya! I'm at it again (after a bit of a hiatus) and I've just recently drawn this:

(I personally think it's better viewed at 2x scale.)

This is a bit of a different style from how I usually do things, and it's also the first time I've done that pattern-mapping thing I did with his scarf. I guess my biggest questions are 1) Is there some easier way to map a pattern on a surface other than manually drawing it like I did here? and 2) What's a better approach to drawing fur? (It's a little hard to tell, but the lighter part of his coat, at the collar, is supposed to be fur.)

I'd also love to hear all your comments and constructive criticism!  ;D

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Waist-up portrait

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:34:05 pm
His neck's a foot long right off the bat, ahaha

Careful about that when adding scarves, easy to have that happen
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sinceriously

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:52:46 am
Now that you mention it, you're right! I don't think his neck should be sticking that far out. I tried editing it with some reference (pulled out of Google Images lol)

The head's too big as well, but I was pretty aware of that while drawing, and it's not as visually unappealing as his too long neck.

Here's the edited version:

Offline Gragh

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 10:32:35 am
You may need to exaggerate the furriness a bit more,  like you said it is a bit hard to tell that it is fur.  Light shines off of fur in a particular way, so you can use strategically placed specular spots to imply fur without actually trying to draw each hair.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 02:56:40 pm
don't give too much about this loomis proportion you showed here.
It's a full grown up ~35 y o athletic man.

Yours rather looks like a 20 year old average young man.
While the head might be a bit too big, or the shoulders chest a bit too small.

Loomis heads ar ealso smaller than heads of actual people, because loomis uses an 8 head canon i believe (depends which of the 4 rhyths you sued there) and most people are somewhere between a bit more than 6 and a bit less than 7 heads in height.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Sinceriously

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 05:15:58 am
I looked for a younger reference that could better fit his age (I was going for around 19-20). So, I superimposed it on him and I noticed he was a little tilted to the left. :yell: Lesson learned: use references and proper construction before you finish the drawing. Here's the superimposed image after some editing though:

That's where I think his shoulders would be under a rather thick coat. Also, his face looks to be just the right width (I think?), but extends too far down. I think I'll try to fix that soon. Here's the current ver:

I guess I'll get the proportions right before I start worrying about details like the fur on his coat.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 02:13:06 pm
Re: tilting, just remember to flip horizontally every now and then. This is a common problem with larger art, and flipping is a good way to notice problems like that.