AuthorTopic: New to Pixel Art, made a Cloud  (Read 1912 times)

Offline PowerOfTheAsian

• View Profile

New to Pixel Art, made a Cloud

on: June 09, 2017, 04:46:46 pm
Hello  ^-^, I'm quite new to this site and the art style in general, so here is my first pixel cloud that i made:

Some constructive feedback would be appreciated. :)

Offline LomDom

• South side loco
    • BlondeAnt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64712.htm
    • BlondeAnt
    • View Profile

Re: New to Pixel Art, made a Cloud

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:07 pm
59, as a colour count is too large for a piece of this size, so my first advice is that you should use limited palettes (6 to 16 colours to start), that way you will further your knowledge in colours a lot (also you could search tutorials on creating palettes, theres one done in pixeljoint by the great sy0sa which is pure gold). A different way to improve in working with palettes is to work with predetermined ones, if you search palettes at google it shouldnt be difficult to find an interesting one (ex: pico8).

Another technique really helpful to start is to work with outline so you dont have to mess with backgrounds and similar shit at first.

P.D.: wich software are you using?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:20:24 pm by LomDom »
The artist formerly known as BlondeAnt

Offline PowerOfTheAsian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:00:22 pm
Thanks for the response!I did use a brush tool at first, which could be why there is a high color count, despite using only 6-7 colors in the color data. I guess i should use pencil tools more often. :-[

The software I was using is Paint.net (not the built in Microsoft software). It was already a software I have and decided to use it.

Offline LomDom

• South side loco
    • BlondeAnt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64712.htm
    • BlondeAnt
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:22:09 pm
Yeah, dont use brushes because most of them will probably destroy your palette. As of Paint.net I didnt have idea that thing existed, for my pieces I use Graphics Gale, which is a pretty decent pixelart sofware. You can find it for free if you dont mind doing animations.
The artist formerly known as BlondeAnt