AuthorTopic: Turtle Mage (WIP)  (Read 2182 times)

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Turtle Mage (WIP)

on: June 09, 2017, 03:12:17 pm
So I'm actually working on a board game and I'm planning on doing pixel art. This is one of the player characters that will go on a card. I'm still trying to decide on style. I don't want to be too realistic (which I fear is the direction this one is headed in).

This one I just threw together as another style:

I think I want to do something between these two.

Offline LomDom

• South side loco
    • BlondeAnt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64712.htm
    • BlondeAnt
    • View Profile

Re: Turtle Mage (WIP)

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:19:49 pm
As you have said I would go for a style between those two, with the simplicity of the one below but with the perspective of the one above. As an advice you should use less colours and better palettes (you can find pretty good tutorials on creating palettes out there). Also your use of the outline in the one above is ilogical, taken that the light comes from a frontal perspective why the outline above the arms is darker than the outline under them?

I will try to submit some example or some personal takes on this character this week.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:49:00 pm by LomDom »
The artist formerly known as BlondeAnt

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:35:54 pm
Thanks for the tips LomDom. This is actually the first time I have done any pixel art at this high of a resolution, but I have learned a lot while working through it! As far as the outlining, the same color is used on the top and bottom. I think it just looks different due to the outline being right next to the highlights on the top and the shadow on the bottom. I'll definitely look into some tutorials on creating color palettes as well!

Offline LomDom

• South side loco
    • BlondeAnt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64712.htm
    • BlondeAnt
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:44:13 pm
Wtf, I got bamboozled by that outline, you got a little illusion thing going on there
The artist formerly known as BlondeAnt