AuthorTopic: [C+C] Bread character animations  (Read 1567 times)

Offline wobsob

• View Profile

[C+C] Bread character animations

on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:56 am
EDIT:: I just realized that I may have posted this in the wrong forum, and maybe should have posted this in the Animation forum? I don't see a button to delete a post though, what should do?

Hi all! I'm a complete beginner, trying to learn and practice working on some simple sprite animations for a "character", though really just a piece of bread. I just started a few days ago, and just discovered this forum, so wanted to post two things I tried to make these last few nights.

I wasn't sure where to start the first time I tried this, so I tried a 64x64 laughing animation

Pixel art from the game boy and SNES era are probably some of the biggest inspirations, and it looked like those usually used 16x16 to 32x32 sprites, so I wanted to try something smaller, so I made a 32x32 idle animation:

Some background about my experience, this is my first time attempting any sort of art or pixel art apart from doodling in high school (day job being a programmer). I do not really have much experience drawing, and am a bit intimidated by anatomy and perspective, so thought I should start with something simple.

I've been reading through various tutorials listed here as well as browsing twitter for tutorials to learn the basics, so I thought I would try something where I could start trying basic animation and shading/shadows. I plan on making a series of basic character that I can load into code and see in action. I saw in another thread that another good place to start would be a bouncing ball, so I may try that as well. I also read that in hand drawn animation, a flour sack is supposed to be good practice, so I may also try that.

Any and all feedback, tips, or advice is very much appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:35:02 am by wobsob »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Bread character animations

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:43:42 am
Looks more like a shudder honestly! It's the twitching that does it. For a laugh you generally want to have more "Up and down" movement here. Treat the top bumps on the bread as shoulders for that.
I also think adding a mouth might be a good idea. There's eyes already so why not, ay?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline llamacyst

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Bread character animations

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:05 pm
That's not a laugh, that's a shiver.

Try laughing yourself, your head doesn't vibrate, it bobs up and down around every half second.