AuthorTopic: Problematic Punky  (Read 26837 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Problematic Punky

Reply #50 on: November 04, 2006, 12:38:33 pm
no.  My Chemical Romance sucks.  They are emo.

Punky is a punk.  Read up on it. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: November 04, 2006, 12:57:51 pm
Rites of Spring and Embrace and Husker Du are 'emo'. And awesome. Read up on that too.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #52 on: November 04, 2006, 05:43:29 pm

when Van Halen goes emo? I always thought his avatar looked like a gay 80's hair band guy.

Being emo is lame.

Not sure if Souly is, but helm is, that essplains a lot :)
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: November 04, 2006, 06:11:29 pm
I don't see why people who insist on fitting into a stereotype groups, always seem to hate those who just fit into different stereotypes.. At the end of the day we're all just part of a crowd, anyways love the game so far Souly.. I personally would think it'd be awsome if your character could change from, Punk to Goth, to Emo to Chav etc depending on the bomb you want to use.. Kinda like Megaman.. ?? no.. ok just an idea.  :lol:

goodluck with this.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #54 on: November 04, 2006, 06:21:11 pm
I don't really want to base the game on stereotypes guys.
Sorry but I just came out of a really large stereotype war, and it's the last thing I'd want to make a game about.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate the help. :]
I'm still thinking if I want it in present day, or some wacky world with strange creatures.

I've been having some down time on my inspiration at the moment, so I've been playing around with a few things to try and get inspiration for this game.
I'll take all of your guys suggestions into consideration for when I start to work on this ASAP.

The tiles still need to be worked out though, so I need to work on those.
Along with a basic storyline at least.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #55 on: November 04, 2006, 08:41:33 pm
Yeah, how about just stay away from fighting other stereotypes?
I actually liked KilledBySuicide's idea, about being against, maybe not necessarily politics, but the Man.

Businessmen are running rampant and trying to brainwash everyone into being super-organized. Rules are being set up for mosh pits, mohawks are being given a legal height limit. And it's not just the punk crowd either. The size and amount Bling is being regulated, the placement of pant-holes must comply with regulation, and, worst of all, it is illegal to play music so loud that the neighbors can hear it!
Someone's got to stop this madness, so Problematic Punky takes his stash of pyrotechnics and goes on a mission to save the music world! On his way he meets allies like Ridiculous Rappy, Glamourless Gothy, and Dexterous Deathy (And many more), as well as enemies like Bane Al, Bo Ring, and Mon Otto Ny.

(BTW, I thought emo was a subgroup of punk.)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: November 05, 2006, 02:20:49 am
lastest stuff all looks good, hope to see more :P

continuing the OT : i think of emo as being a combination of the less fun emotions (like sadness), punk music and the scenester image.  Helm, two of the bands you mentioned, i always thought embrace belonged more to the indie genre, and hüsker dü to hardcore punk?  regardless, all 3 rock.

sorta related, i was listening to REM and the cranberries the other day and somebody called them both emo, and i was like, wtf?  so appaently some people think that anyone who is sad in some songs is emo.  i wonder if they think pete townshend is emo? lol.  she called coldplay emo too though, silly girl.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:22:34 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #57 on: November 05, 2006, 02:44:02 am
HUGE, HUGE OT but oh well:

My soul belongs to Satan (read: Heavy Metal) but I listen to other things too. None of the original 'emo' bands enjoy that name, and they all consider themselves punk bands, but what they're doing isn't like Bad Brains or Black Flag, so the distinction was made.

Rites of Spring are the ones that started the whole emotional octave-chord DC punk thing, and anyone that makes jokes about emo-fashion myspace kids and the like should be careful not to ignorantly suppose all the relevant music is as shallow as this woeful pop drivel like Bullet for My Valentine (who have nothing to do with 'emo', or punk for that matter).

Embrace are also this sort of proto-emo, and it served as the stepping stone for Ian MacKaye from Straight Edge progenitors Minor Threat into Fugazi, along with Guy Picciotto from Rites of Spring. Neither of those two bands are my favourite music ever but they're very formidable and to be enjoyed and respected free of ignorant 'lol, emo!' putdowns.

Husker Du are hardcore punk, but so are Rites of Spring and Embrace. 'emo' isn't very concrete on that level. It's just punk music with a interpersonal spin on the aesthetics, regardless of what the term later became. Zen Arcade contains however, probably some of the most emotionally harrowing musical experiences of my life, so what is it if not 'emo'?

There's latter-day emo bands that are worthwhile in my opinion, but that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post was that anyone that says 'punk rules, emo sucks' needs to look it up more, as they're pretty much branches on the same tree. And also anyone that makes easy jokes on the tastes of other people should be more considerate.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #58 on: November 05, 2006, 08:36:12 am
Anyways.... Bringing the thread back onto topic.
I began to work on the explosion again.
This time I've added a bomb charge in so you know what it will look like.
I'll end up making the bomb flash or something when it's about to explode.
For now I just wanted to get the explosion animation right.

Edit: Wow, I shouldn't have AA'd it.
It looks really bad on a darker background.

Edit2: Removed the AA.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 08:41:33 am by Souly »

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: November 05, 2006, 06:15:11 pm
S'nice! Good punchy start but really needs more frames on the back end and a faster frame rate overall. The pulsing bomb is fine, though. If it's good enough for Hudson, it's good enough for me. ;)
--

DrDerekDoctors