AuthorTopic: Vedsten + Jawsh + Gustav + Fejer + Nick Lee  (Read 8910 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: Vedsten + Jawsh + Gustav + Fejer + Nick Lee

Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 10:49:42 pm
"How did you guys arrive at mixing all those perspectives? was there some reference you were working from?"

The game draws pretty heavily from beatemups like Double Dragon and Final Fight, so we kept the same basic perspective as those (although this game had a lot more vertical movement). Double Dragon in particular was a big influence because the designers were constantly screwing with perspective, on the knowledge that the player would only see one screen's-worth of area at a time. Example:

http://www.viplt.ne.jp/ddragon/double%20dragon/stagemap/mission1_stagemap.gif

"Also, how did the game handle players walking behind things like buildings.. or inside a bus, did the player just disappear from view for a while?"

We had 3-4 layers available on all maps, so generally we'd set 1 in front of the player. This would include pieces of things like the bus, building tops, etc. It really has to be seen to be appreciated, and the coordination of all these levels was done by Nick (hopefully he won't mind me posting an example). He worked with incredibly limited tile counts, so basically he would use 1 layer to lay flat Lego-like blocks, a second layer for incidental details and a third for anything in front of the player. Here's a set of examples:

http://www.adamtierney.com/Nick_layers.zip

"and last one, how was the level design created, was it really just one big image chopped up? or did you rough out levels with very basic blocks and then spiff them up? I'd love to know how these levels were designed and assembled."

The initial levels were sketched out by myself and David (the lead programmer). Vedsten and Nick would work off these designs and handle all art and layout themselves. As Nick got more comfortable, I'd start just giving him lists and written ideas and he came up with everything himself.

- Adam
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:59:45 pm by AdamTierney »

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 04:28:22 am
Very nice work guys. Making maps like that is really a difficult skill that goes way beyond just pixeling or coding.  The examples really help, especially DoubleDragon, while I've beaten that game more times then I can count in my youth, I never noticed the perspective mashing.

Is there a an official site for the game? I may have to pick it up :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 06:55:16 am
It's interesting to watch Vedsten and Nick's skills progress through these images. You can see they handle the time constraints better and deliver more consistently in the later images.

I'm digging the grassy areas of Nick_06.gif. It's got a nice meatiness to it. The floor tiles of Nick_11.gif came out real nice, too. Nick_11 looks like a big step up from his other levels.

Thanks for the DD map, Adam. I was trying to find that with a google recently. I've always enjoyed your posts on the games you and other pixelation artists are working on. Keep them coming.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:04:52 am by crab2selout.png »

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 09:43:30 pm
so much fun working on this Adam, an allover great experience! Nick's stuff is truly amazing, espc. taking the limitations into account, top f. dollar. It's a shame you can't see any of the animations of Jaws and Gustavs work cause they are  :y: :y: :y: too

Congrats on the great reviews so far btw

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 11:38:29 pm
Congrats to you, sir. :) Did you get your copy yet? If not you should soon - they were sent out mid last week.

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 01:20:51 am
Just wanted to give my props to a damn fine work by all involved.
Seeing Vedsten's work gives me warm fuzzy feelings.
Top effing svenska kronor.

Great work dudes! Just a shame there's no animations shown.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 01:27:32 am
any chance of seeing some of the character portraits?
I know theyre not pixel art, but they still looked very cool :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 03:53:18 pm