AuthorTopic: Vedsten + Jawsh + Gustav + Fejer + Nick Lee  (Read 8998 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: Vedsten + Jawsh + Gustav + Fejer + Nick Lee

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:06:42 am
Those are pretty amazing works.
Those of Kenneth Fejer, they aren't pixel art, are they? If they are, then  :o
I'll save these for inspiration, especially those character sprites.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:19:35 am
very nice work all around, my hats off to the team.
I especially like nick_06 and 06, very inspirational. Also, I noticed nicks treetop's looks quite similar to that of chaos engines
( )
coincidence?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:22:48 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:45:16 pm
Nick's stuff is pretty badass. Nick_09 is pretty cool just to see how the level is done, you cans ee that on of the buildings was cut off and anotehr image is there, and it's just neat to see a template like that for the game level. Probably looks awesoem on GBA hehe.

To TakaM, yeah, seems similar, cept he did leaves that are a bit more rapid, sort of giving it it's own look. Plus, Chaos Engine has more unshaded areas! But honestly I like both so meh

One thing that DID bug me is in 06 that waterfall... it doesn't make sense. You have the steps going in 2 levels INTo teh screen and then waterfall just kind of trancends all that and falls down across them almost vertically. Just bugged teh hell out of me!
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:10:54 pm
Only the menu pieces in Ken's stuff is pixelled. The spacey BGs are Warner rendered art.

Yeah, the trees look similar so I'm guessing he referenced them pretty heavily. But I don't think he ripped anything. Nick's trees are rounder, less splayed leaves and simpler. Something to keep in mind with Nick's stuff specifically is that he had pretty harsh tile limitations in each level. So there's a constant tradeoff between pixel quality and variation.

Yeah, waterfall is out of perspective, but you never see more than 1 floor of that level at a time, so it works fine in-game. I liked the idea of a huge waterfall that flows over everything. In the game it's animated, and it reduces opacity when you walk behind it, so you can fight people behind the waterfall.

- Adam

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:31:20 pm
ahh, pixelart at its prime. all of this is wonderful, and im glad im in a community with all these talented artists.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:46:33 pm
How did all of these amazing artists end up working on the same game together? That's amazing.

All good stuff, from each artist. Now I feel like playing that game haha. :y:

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 12:22:28 pm
i love the art in the game so much, and the gameplay is great too  :-*

FASTEST MAN ALIVE

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 06:22:09 pm
Wicked stuff guys, love the big backgrounds nick did.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 09:47:53 pm
First of all, great art.

Nicks stuff really has me wondering though, There's a lot of mixed perspectives in the levels, though I'm sure it all  looks great when clipped to a GBA sized screen.

How did you guys arrive at mixing all those perspectives? was there some reference you were working from?

Also, how did the game handle players walking behind things like buildings.. or inside a bus, did the player just disappear from view for a while?

and last one, how was the level design created, was it really just one big image chopped up? or did you rough out levels with very basic blocks and then spiff them up? I'd love to know how these levels were designed and assembled.

(ok.. looking closer I can see that  they are indeed tiled, but there' s a wide variance in tile sets within one level)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:15:33 pm by Kable »