AuthorTopic: New avatar- Weirdo performer.  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

New avatar- Weirdo performer.

on: September 11, 2005, 01:38:02 pm

Please C&C, I'm sure there's a ton I should improve on.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: New avatar- Weirdo performer.

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:05:43 pm
The tie is a funky shape and plain, same with the right glove.  The shoes are oddly shaped.  The spiky ball needs thicker spikes..  Other than that its great...
Oh just noticed, try and use that lighter red more than once...

I even Did a quick edit, I eliminated that lighter red.  Made the spike ball more beefy, yet I dont like the light on it very much.  I rounded the shoes too..

Left shoe is a tad long but that is an easy fix...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:26:39 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 05:27:36 pm
The face is great, but some other things need to be worked on.
I'll go from top to bottom;
-The hat seems to be sitting to high on his head, and the white band could be a bit thicker.
-The face is very detailed, contrasting the rest of the image. Not a bad thing, but I think it'd be better if everything were of a consistent style.
-The tie is too short.
-The body looks like a silhouette(sp?) You could add some detail to it, or at least shade it so we can see the arms.
-He needs a belt.
-His hand (his left) is extremely blank and is oddly shaped.
-The spikes on the morningstar are a bit unevenly lengthed and don't have a consistent thickness.
-He has wierd feet. They look like they got run over by a steamroller.

It's good so far, but It doesn't look 'done.'
Hmm...I like this - do you mind if I do an edit?

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:15 am
Greetings!
Great character and pose!
Shouldn't the background contain racks of weapons or something, something about the plain background seems plain to me, if its a stage maybe some red curtains on the side or something...
peace!

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 04:21:03 am
I don't really see any purpose to the background. Is it just colors? or is he in a room? If the bg isn't doing anything to help the focus of the piece, it should be left out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 04:23:45 am by Pegucha »

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:01:44 am
His legs look way too short and/or his arms too long. I'd like to see what can be distinquished as his upper body thickened and his legs lengthened. Probably have his arms shortened a bit, even if you lengthen the legs. Also something to give more form to the silhouette woud be good, since it's really strange not being able to figure out the proportions.

I also don't like that his legs are so trunk like. I'm a fan of thinner limbs, I guess. Then there's the flail itself, the handle aaed to the black is hardly noticable. The aa color is just way too dark. Personally, I would've used the red shade which you used to aa the handle to the background and would've just left the part of the handle overlapping the background without aa. I think the spiked ball is really over aaed too where it meets the light gray floor, it just makes it look too blurry and BrotherInWar's edit makes it look too bulky and outlined, not really fixing the blurriness problem. Although my edit may make the spikes look too needlelike, but you could just thicken them up with the darker mid gray at the base of each spike, until the black meets said gray in the background, then you could just use the black at the base to thicken it.

Here's how I would've done it:

Sorry if somethings aren't very clear, I'm tired and horrible at explanations.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:12:32 pm
I'm really feeling artistically challenged for now, I'm having a hard time doing anything. Thanks for all the crits, I just can't bring myself to get anything done :-[

How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:19:37 pm
No worries, it happens to everyone. I don't think I've actually felt truly finished with a piece since probably a year ago. I just lose interest in stuff easily.