AuthorTopic: Feature 03 - Mermaid  (Read 95009 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Mermaid!

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 03:33:35 am
Try replacing the black where rock meets water with a light color and see how that looks.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 12:48:12 pm
I also think that the fins look out of place. I'm not really sure how to fix this, but I'm sure there are plenty others who can help in that. It just screams "I GOT LAZY HERE" for me.:S

That said, very cheery and colorful piece. I really like the textures on the trunk and the stone. :)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 01:53:33 pm
i love it mirre, but i don't really think the face looks very... feminine?

edit:

added nose
changed mouth
reduced some of the aa
reflected small amount of light onto forehead
some other small things on facial area

apart from that i think it's great  :y:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:00:41 am by ptoing »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 02:50:17 pm
Ok I took the time to make a major edit, just because I like this so much and I feel you could improve in a few areas.
Time to break out of your comfort zone!

I think the whole thing iss too outliney and the selout all over the place breaks things into little solitary cardboard cutouts, I feel as if i can take the whole treestrunk out of the picture leaving a hole showing a woodpanel on the underside like like in those kids wood puzzles, same goes for other pieces, like the top of the tree and esp the little stone.

I removed all the black and selout from the outlines, there is some black left but not much.
I aa'ed the objects to the background so they would fit in nicely .
Merged two colours into one (body and apples)
Added a new darker colour for the stone which I also used in the tree. Colourcount is still 24.
added some highlights to various things, leaves, treetrunk and so on.
Gave the poor lass a proper mouth and nose and changed the shape of the face a tiny bit.
made the wrist of the supporting hand a bit slimmer
Added some little highlights, waverings on the water (needs more on other objects as well)
Fixed aa on 2 of the reeds and gave one reed a proper shape, reeds are longish and have a bit of the stem at the top most of the time.
Also added some highlight/texture to the bigger reed to give it a feel of fuzzyness.
Pronounced shadows here and there and changed palette a little to unify it a bit more, could be taken further.

Yours -- Mine

I suspect that you always do very clean lineart first and then you add in colour, other than that I can not explain to myself how you end up with this massive amount of Selout. I would suggest to you for your next piece like this not to do any lineart, but instead try to work in shapes.
Block out fields of colour and work from that. In nature there are no outlines and in case you want to do something really cartoony work the outlines into the image instead of breaking them up with selout.

You also seem to only use 1 pixel aa, as in abcd, but it can also be aabbcc or something else.
Antialiasing is always an approximation to fake higher resolution/greater smoothness.

I think if you would take these pointers into account and would perhaps not think so much of "sprites" when you pixel you could advance quite a bit further.

Keep it up  :y:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:02:41 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 03:04:00 pm

I'd go for something more like this.
I think Ptoing's loses the tranquility of the scene, and those lips are just ugly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:03:18 am by ptoing »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 03:09:54 pm
I thought the lips in Ptoing's edit made it 3x better in terms of characterization. Small edit on rocks. Reflections, tints, took a color out.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:04:28 am by ptoing »

Offline Tisha

• Kitten
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:12 pm
I thought the lips in Ptoing's edit made it 3x better in terms of characterization. Small edit on rocks. Reflections, tints, took a color out.

/agree

one of the most remarkable feminine features in a woman, are the lips. I think Ptoing really captured that sensuality and beauty that a woman must have.alos I share the opinion of not using black but a very dark color.
I also have to say that I love that piece allot. she is very curvilinear, very feminine body, and the face edit was the final touch. Mirre, amazing job! I hope that if I eat my veggies and pixel hard, I'll be as well skilled as you are <3
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:06:45 am by ptoing »
Meow

Tisha

Offline Player1

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 05:52:07 am
IMHO, original smile fit look and feel of picture ideally.

Offline Toby

• View Profile
    • SKEZblog

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 06:41:07 am
I'm going to join the choir and say that I absolutely love this :)

ptoing brought some good point up, like the black outline between the rock and the water, ripples in the water, and the mermaids lips. Proper lips certainly give personality to the character.

But, I did like the darker vibrant colors of the original instead of the softer ones in the edit, with the exception of the bluer shade on the lowest level of leaves. I also feel that some improved selout would have been the way to go on instead of heavy AA. Visible outlines seems to be a trademark in your pieces, and at least I think it fits their cartoonesque feel better. In the original version the selout seemed to be a bit choppy, but I'm sure you can improve :) 

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 12:02:02 pm
SeloutTM is always choppy.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.