AuthorTopic: Feature 03 - Mermaid  (Read 95001 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: Mermaid!

Reply #70 on: November 24, 2006, 02:44:55 pm
OMG! Thanks for the feature! :D

I really would like to continue updating this... infact I had begun (fixed the breast, clouds, some AAing, and started on a border), but then my laptop died. And I mean died -  it's dead. The harddrive is burnt out, and even my ghostfile for C :/ seems messed up so I can't restore it. But, in three weeks (Dec 18) when I go back home to Sweden I might be able to restore all my half-finished pixelart that is on D :/, and all the photos from England. If I'm lucky :'( I can still use the intarweb, but it's not my computer so I can't use it that often, and I don't think they'll approve if I install programs on it (I'll check though). Not that any pixelart would come out very good on this screen anyways. It makes everything look like .jpg's, and it's way too bright. So I'm really sorry guys, but I really can't help it, this'll have to stay unfinished for a while. :( I'm really happy about the feature though! I never thought I'd manage to do pixelart good enough for that :)

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: November 24, 2006, 07:57:08 pm
Mirre, it looks great! The oranges and randomness of the clouds I find highly likable.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: November 24, 2006, 11:22:18 pm
Great piece.. seems you only dithered 2 of the oranges though, is that intentional?

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #73 on: December 17, 2006, 07:12:21 am
This piece has the power to drag people from obscurity...

I am just going to comment on the staggering improvement from the original piece to the most recent incarnation.  The colour choice improved greatly and the general technique in many areas has been enhanced, particularly the fin and the face.  The pastel shift and loss of black colour really made this piece much softer on the eyes.  The original is a bit more cell shaded, with what appears to be more harsh AntiAliasing, and has a much more comic appeal to it.  I'll support the heavier AA on this piece that it lends itself to the soft colour choices and adds another layer of gentleness to the entire composition (without feeling pillow shaded or overly blurry).  I prefer your lip and face enhancements ptoings, they are much more feminine for this particular piece, but he was right that she seemed barren withotu them.  I agree with Helm's suggestion on limiting cloud coverage, but the addition of clouds is an improvement to the horizon in my opinion. 

I can't decide about the hair... I can't decide if I like it in its current incarnation, or if it looks like a giant bonnet... I don't have time to make edits... but maybe you could play with it and see what other ideas pop up (who knows, maybe the current look is the best).  A decent piece that, after the edits, really stands out as a remarkable piece of art.  This thread is the model of how art critiques should be done.  Excellent work Mirre, and everyone who offered advice.
Glub Glub!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 18, 2006, 08:31:21 am
I've been meaning to pop in here and comment on your beautiful artwork for quite a while, Mirre.
This pixel pic of yours is easily one of the most excellent and wonderful artworks I've seen in Pixelation. I'm absolutely blown away by how stunning this gorgeous artwork is! It's so vivid and viberant and so well put together.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #75 on: December 22, 2006, 10:55:01 pm
Yay! Just to let everyone know that I'm not dead, and that I'm not intending to leave this unfinished. I'm back in Sweden now and my dad has successfully restored all my files from the dead laptop so I'm going to post an update in a couple of days when the Christmas stress has chilled down. ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #76 on: December 22, 2006, 11:05:12 pm
Wonderful.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #77 on: December 22, 2006, 11:19:14 pm
Awesome! After newyear it should get moved to the Chest then :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #78 on: December 26, 2006, 10:23:18 pm
Okay guys! I've done an update! (yay)

I added a frame, enlarged her boob, removed some clouds and stuff. Tell me what you think.

With and without frame:

(Is this finished now ??? I do feel pretty happy about it!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:21:35 pm by ptoing »

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #79 on: December 29, 2006, 03:07:04 am
I'll go on record, I like the frame... but it I suppose it depends on what you want the finished piece to be.  With the frame it looks constrained to be single still shot of this magnificent scene, a painting in a frame, without it looks like a photograph of a larger scene that extends beyond its borders.  Whatever you're shooting for, they both look fine.

The cloud cover looks nice and her breast drop is not readily noticeable but it does make them look more even (smaller breasts are my thing, but that's neither here nor there in this piece :P).  Really, what more is there to say about this piece, any more tweaking would probably be futile.  Any changes would be slight pixel work and not improve the composition to a degree worth investing time for.  The original illustration is nice, but the improvements have made it an outstanding piece.  Great work Mirre... and pixelation too for (still) being the type of art forum where artists can get real critiques.
Glub Glub!