AuthorTopic: Please critique my past and current anime pixel art character (I'm a beginner)  (Read 2658 times)

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile
It's Sasuke from Naruto part 1. These are the references:

This is the base:

This is my Sasuke from years ago:

This is Sasuke that I've been developing and editing yesterday and today:

I really think I've really improved(I'm not entirely sure how, I didn't draw, I've just done pixel art and copied pixel art pixel-by-pixel) in the newest one. What do you guys think? I think the shapes, shading and colors are better. I also think that the newer one is closer to the the references than the one from years ago.

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile
Seeing this 0 reply post left on the front page of this forum section for so long was bugging me :D

But what also bugged me was I tried to fix this up a few days ago and sort of failed. I had another bash at it today and it looks a little better then my previous attempt, so I thought to post to see if this might give you suggestions/ideas on how to re-work your sprite.

I think my main issue was the tiny resolution, it was really quite tricky getting this looking like the source material and I commend you for your efforts, It was much more of a challenge then I first thought.

Ok so I made a little sequence picture for you so you can see the iterations I went through, I started with your original, then started fresh with the detailing and shading, but trying to maintain your rough shape. The rest I hope is easy enough to follow in the picture.

I struggled to get the turtle neck looking right, struggled with the face, in particular the eyes, struggled with the feet.. the result is a much leaner sprite that might be perhaps easier to animate, there is also a tiny bit more space on the face you could could get try get alternate emotions with the mouth area, I think I lose a bit of that "anime" look, but perhaps it might be a bit closer to the source material, I dunno.., my face is still really messed up. anyway, 

I am sure someone with the sort of talent I see around here could improve this a lot more though.

keep trying/experimenting, practice, practice, practice

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I think yours has some improvements over mine (with some shapes) but I think yours more looks like Konohamaru than Sasuke:

But I've improved mine over the the past one right?

Offline Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

• View Profile
for sure, keep up the practice though

Offline Roach

• View Profile
Good job, your first sprite looks like a shitty space station 13 sprite. The next one I can actually tell its sasuke so you've stepped miles away from your start. Good job.  :y: You're working on a small scale so thats also good. Remember to work on a medium colored background, and work with less harsh colors. The blue on his shirt is too intense, and his hair is a bit too gradient. Keep it up and you'll eventually get your desired goal.