AuthorTopic: Stuffed (WIPs)  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Stuffed (WIPs)

on: October 27, 2006, 07:23:03 pm
This is the thread I'll use to dump alot of GFXs I'm making for a Graal Online server Stuffed. The idea is pretty simple: A bunch of stuffed animals and possibly other dolls come to life after people leave the room and kill each other. Idea is to create a 2D Deathmatch sort of dealie with many modes, weapons, and so on.
To Graalians: Yes I am aware this has been thrown around Graal Forums, but idea has never been claimed, it always just went under "Hey wouldn't it be cool".

Anyway, I'm trying to create a very cartoonish look to the whole place (read cell shaded?), my main problem though is I suck at palettes so picking out colors is very tough to me =( Moreover my pixeling experience is very small, so I am in many terms a newbie.

Anyway, here is the first thing, character design. I'm thinking oversized heads and absence of limbs (hands don't have arms, feet don't have legs). Reason for this is ease of animation.

Rabbit:

(Note, blue palette has been blatantly taken out of cave's avatar, just wanted to see what it'd look like styled and draw with those colors =(, don't hate me!)

All and any criticism is welcome! I am pretty sure I screwed up shading, and highlights and stuff, I'm trying to work that out now x.x
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Stuffed (WIPs)

Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 07:30:43 pm
1: People still play Graal? ???
2: Nothing wrong with using someone else's pallete.
3: The over-sized cheeks are kinda annoying to me, and for some reason it makes them look more like dogs than rabbits..
Stylistically, I think red is best.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Cazador

• Valhalla, i am coming
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:43:13 pm
Yes, i agree with Sherman that the red one is the best, but i think it needs the glow in his cheeks like those in the b&w. Also you should use a darker red for the outline instead of black.
Well, nothing else to say, keep working on that  :y:

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 09:02:22 pm
Cute characters, tough they do look more like dogs than rabbits. And I don't think dithering is a very wise idea for such a small sprite that's going to be animated. Just remember to use more contrast between the brightness and the hues in your palletes. Really try to picture your character under a lightbulb in a dark room, don't just randomly put in shadows around the edges.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 04:12:52 am
its not bad, however id suggest two big things...one, take out any black lines inside the main image itself and give it a darker shade of your main color or closest to it, it can help with blending and less choppy.  second, graal is one of the worst games ever invented...know why?, heres an answer:  the graphics are horrible, also, its overrun by 12 year olds spamming.  regarding the graphics though; ive been on graal for a few years and it may have helped me graphic wise by...I dunno, a small amount of not copying?  anyway, graal is a horrible game to get into as it'll control your life, not to mention your pixeling life.  they dont have any well pixeled images, so my advice to you:  stay away from graal, find more pixeling forums/websites, do a crapload of tutorials.  trust me, you'll get better a lot faster than if you stick with graal.  (sorry for the long rant-it ruined 5 years of my life)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 05:31:00 am
I consider my time on Graal as a learning experience.
It got me into making pixel art and the idiots on it taught me a lot. And Joseph, he could do both (make graphics for Graal, and use the internets learning capabilities). Even bring good art to Graal.
Just do whatever you want, Androk.
I agree you should have a dark shade of the colors instead of black, though.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)