AuthorTopic: [C+C] Is this correct??  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Raven Foxx

• Ravenhoof
    • View Profile

[C+C] Is this correct??

on: May 22, 2017, 05:39:44 am

I'm trying a new shading style. I use the hue change rule. Does it look right? What should I add? Should I dither? C+C please.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:39:31 pm by Raven Foxx »

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Is this correct??

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:03:49 am
Hey! First of all I give you props for taking this path and giving this a shot.  :y:

Second, the hue change rule is usually the go to when you want to shade something. I know its very important for me because I use it for my art pieces
and pixel art pieces. I'd highly recommend studying all about color fundamentals that way you can understand more about how color works!

Now with your circle you went with the right approach with colors going for a purple for shadows and then orange for highlights. However, in terms of applying it the purple is way too light for a shadow and the highlight at the very end looks noisy and out of place for a piece so small. I wouldn't recommend dithering for a piece this small.
The shadings a bit off, but I can tell still what lighting it was going for.

Here I did a quick edit of the circle to show you

A simple circle,but notice how the light source is set up and the colors I used.

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:39 am
By the time I did the edit @Yokai90 has already did so too, so I'll just leave my edit here:

Offline Raven Foxx

• Ravenhoof
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:17 am
Hey! First of all I give you props for taking this path and giving this a shot.  :y:

Second, the hue change rule is usually the go to when you want to shade something. I know its very important for me because I use it for my art pieces
and pixel art pieces. I'd highly recommend studying all about color fundamentals that way you can understand more about how color works!

Now with your circle you went with the right approach with colors going for a purple for shadows and then orange for highlights. However, in terms of applying it the purple is way too light for a shadow and the highlight at the very end looks noisy and out of place for a piece so small. I wouldn't recommend dithering for a piece this small.
The shadings a bit off, but I can tell still what lighting it was going for.

Here I did a quick edit of the circle to show you

A simple circle,but notice how the light source is set up and the colors I used.

Oh! I see what I did! The light source was to close to the edge to be realistic. And you used a dark red instead of a light purple. And the outlines do make more sense! And the shadow is more desaturated. And my lighting was way too harsh. And @oderdrt9 added a backlight!!
Tell me if used missed anything, please.

Offline Raven Foxx

• Ravenhoof
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:58:19 am
I tried again, using what you said!

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:16 am
You are correct  :)
But for future reference also- the dark red you mentioned. While that is correct, the darker red in order to make it you move down the color wheel shown here to a more purple (although not a whole bunch, it honestly depends on what color scheme you want..) so I understood where you were going with the purple ^^

@odedrt19 also good job with your circle also, I love the back light especially  :)

Oh, I just saw your edit! it looks so much better  :y: