AuthorTopic: [CC]Trying to find a anatomy/body style.  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Cloderick

• Dig that hole,forget the sun
    • View Profile

[CC]Trying to find a anatomy/body style.

on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:23 am
Hello,Guys.
As the title says,I'm trying to figure out a body style focused on shapes.
I'm not used to it,so at the same time i do this,i'm drawing some bodys and gestures
in traditional media so i can really learn.Also,i'm trying to focus on the process and
not only in the results cause since i'm learning i'm not trying to achieve my master piece by now.
Said this,i wanted to know if you guys can show me some examples in pixel art,ilustrations or other medias
of this kind of anatomy/style where i can get inspiration and some body/shapes exercises you guys did and you think helped you and maybe can me help me too.
Thank you :D

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC]Trying to find a anatomy/body style.

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:57 pm
Bodies aren't made of shapes, they're made of forms - they're 3D. A shape-based method will fall apart as soon as you have any foreshortening or a different camera angle. I recommend focusing on learning the basic forms that make up the body (no shortage of non-pixel resources on that). Translating that to pixel art is just a matter of clean-up - the mental work is all the same.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:06:35 pm
This looks like a "real" side view (not a RPG perspective), so you should look specificaly into 2D platform shooters. At this resolution / level of detail, I'd say you can look at videos / screenshots of games like:
- Blackthorne
- the "Contra" series. "Hard corps", on the Sega console, may be closest to your target size.
- Abuse (PC DOS)
It may also be a good idea to look at well-defined realistic running and acrobatics animations : Impossible mission II (atari), or The 5th Axis (amstrad). The latter is my all-time favorite, with an incredible 14-frame run sequence.

Games like Flashback and prince of persia (the original) may have some excellent animation, but it's rotoscoped (based on filmed movement), so it's much harder to study the result and determine how or why "it works".

Offline Cloderick

• Dig that hole,forget the sun
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:25 pm
Thank you for the advices,guys.I'm gonna practice when i can.
I've done this,what do you think?