AuthorTopic: [CC] Beast Boy and Raven from Teen Titans  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

[CC] Beast Boy and Raven from Teen Titans

on: May 17, 2017, 06:16:21 pm

I'm actually a lot happier with how Beast Boy turned out than Raven. I don't usually pick my own colors. Most of the time, I pull the palettes from existing sprites, but I felt adventurous and picked my own colors for Beast Boy? Any feedback on the color choices? Words of advice on how to do better next time?

As for Raven, well... she feels a little off. It might be her hair, or the weird disalignment of her eyes, which I couldn't figure out how to really deal with. Anything in particular that strikes you as off? I chickened out with picking my own colors so these are actually just pulled from a bunch of different sprites. Also, yes, I understand that it doesn't look a lot like the Raven in the cartoon. I took my artistic liberties with her, I guess? :blind:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [CC] Beast Boy and Raven from Teen Titans

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:39 pm
Facial structure on Raven is the problem, I think. Face is, overall, to round and almost masculine. Makes her look kinda androgynous with her hair like that, too!

(Edit: I also remember her saying black lipstick)
Try reworking the highlights and here eyes a bit, pull up references from the comics or the original show to see how they approached it!

As for beast boy: yep, that's a beast boy. Slappin' work there!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:38 am
I made a few changes to her face and face shape, and I made her hair a little bit longer. Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with how I drew her eyes so I kept them pretty much the same. Also, I'm pretty sure Raven didn't have black lipstick, so I held off adding it too.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:19:08 am

Here, looks like I was mistaking thicker lines for lipstick. Her upper lip is usually colored, though.

This is usually the Design I think of im regards to raven, but if you're shooting for a more comic accurate model:

(To be honest though I find the comics version pretty generic. Black lipstick is there, though!)

So, comparing the above to your version:
-hair is too short and uneven, in most images I see it is down to just shy of her shoulders with a frontward swoop down. Alternatively, regular widows peak bangs.
-cheeks are too round, a slight bit of inward curve may define her face a bit better. Raven's got a pretty sharp jawline, (though if you're doing​ a full redesign I think the look you've wrangled so far fits her character from the show a lot better)
-her eyes, while a great SHAPE, are still too small! She looks squinty, rather than perpetually judgemental! She also tends towards eyeshadow and wingtips! Try poking at em a bit to make them bigger if the prior two don't fix it, I've ranked these by priority so don't worry too much!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |