AuthorTopic: Game Plot Ideas  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Game Plot Ideas

on: May 13, 2017, 08:15:38 pm
Hey all. My cousin and I are gonna try to make a game and we can't decide on a plot. So far we've come up with two plots. These aren't really very developed so sorry if these are kind of bare bones. (Also forgive me for any grammatical errors)

1. There are two continents. On one continent, there is life, peace, happiness and unity. On the other there is a barren wasteland, ravaged by deadly storms and a long forgotten war. One day, shadowy figures rise in the land of peace, wreaking havoc and kidnapping innocent people. Its the MC's job, along with many other characters that they will meet along the way, to find out what's going on and put a stop to the madness.

2. There are a multitude of Kingdom Hearts-esque worlds (we haven't picked an exact # yet). All the worlds hate each other (There's a machine race that likes efficiency and order, so they dislike races that don't follow that mentality). One day an all powerful sorcerer calls the rulers of each world and asks them if they would be ok with him bringing peace between them. They all say no and team up against the sorcerer. The sorcerer, in a blind fit of rage, uses his magic to fuse all the worlds into one. Every race now unites to split the worlds back up so they each pick a hero to send after the wizard so that he may split the worlds apart.

Please choose which plot you liked the most and what could be done to make it better if it's not too much to ask. Thanks guys.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Game Plot Ideas

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:53:00 pm
2, I like the idea's creativity a lot and it'd be absolutely hilarious for them to unite so well over hatred for a single wizard.

Plus I always love settings that mix various things together. Giant Robots and Dragoneers, together at last!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:29 pm
While both are perfectly good plots I have to say they are both FAR too complicated for your first game. Scale it down. Way, way down. It's very hard to pull off something like that, unless you're making a text adventure I highly recommend aiming for something very simple and focus on your core game mechanics. Remember every location, plot arc, character and mechanic adds an exponential amount of work. Come up with a story you can tell that involves only one or two characters and takes place in a couple of environments. Much like artificially restricting your art style helps to make it easier to draw and guides your creative decisions, so too will restricting the scope of your plot.

It's fun to dream and definitely write down all of your plot ideas and work on them over time until you have the skills and resources to pull them off but the best thing you can do is start making something you can finish ;D

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:59:06 pm
Yeah, I tried telling him that but he really wants to do it so I can't really do anything. He has a "learn as you do it" mentality, but that's easy for him since he's a college student majoring in business. He even thinks that I just need to draw something everyday to get better and not formally learn anything about art and design, which can happen, but that's not how I learn.

Sorry, that last part was a bit of a rant, but I'm gonna leave it there.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:57:25 am
You can certainly learn as you do it but I can tell you right now without even knowing the genre of game that these sound like committed 5+ year games for a team of two relatively experienced devs. Come up with something you think you can make in 6 months. And that will take a year or two if you're lucky. You're not going to get your first game right that's just a fact of life. Might as well be something you can at least complete in the foreseeable future.

Many people have tread this path before, myself included. Try to convince him to take the advice, you'll be much happier for it.

(And do draw something every day! But also go to school 8))

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
Learn as you do it works better imo when you have the basic knowledge. There are lots of tutorials online that can learn you the fundamentals much quicker than if you would try to figure all of it out by yourself. I think with drawing for example I'd say learn how basic perspectives and forms and then try to make some drawings using those techniques everyday.

I also agree with 32 that your first games have to be short and quick, your first game doesn't have to be good, it has to be finished imo.
You get in the bowl

jun

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 02:34:17 pm
The fact that you're even making a thread to ask people to "choose" between "plots" is a red flag for me that you're not ready. If you were, you won't be wasting time with this stuff, and instead working hard. 
Aligning with 32, try to do something simple first. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but anecdotally, it'll just be a waste of time.

Make a Super Mario clone first, finish it. It won't be easy, even with you having all the reference in the world like the playable game itself and tons of art. Figure it out, establish a nice process. Keep at it and you'll work it out.