AuthorTopic: RPG Tiles Cont.  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

RPG Tiles Cont.

on: October 17, 2006, 11:07:28 pm
Ok, I didn't want to bring that topic back from the dead, so I hope you won't mind this new topic.

Anywho, I'm a bit...stuck at the moment? I've tried doing several things to this tree, but it's just not looking right. Again, I think it's something with the perspective...and the roots. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help :P.

EDIT: Ok, so this is the latest attempt. Once again I've reduced the contrast on the grass to a (hopefully  ::)) acceptable setting. As well, I did some work on that tree trunk. Thanks a ton Adam, it's looking much better now with the roots behind it.

As always, if you have any more crits, I'd love to hear. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:14:35 am by Q.K. »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: RPG Tiles Cont.

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:34:16 pm
Nice start!  the first thing you should do is make sure that you properly observe perspective where your trees roots meet the ground.  you have a flat line, basically, where it should be more like an oval or a circle.  A classic example: http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/48/17/35867.jpeg

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:58:12 pm
Alright, I knew I forgot something there. Hopefully this will reinforce the perspective on the tree a bit.

Also, I reworked those dirt tiles. So, if there's anything that still needs some work done to it, let me know, thanks guys.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:35:17 am
I think it still needs a lot more perspective, especially on those roots that stick way out - they really give this straight-line silhouette to your treet that is wrecking the top-down look.  This was a VERY fast edit but hopefully helps illustrate what you need to do!

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 02:55:05 am
Looks pretty good so far. Taking into account what was already mentioned about perspective. I would have to say lower the contrast on the grass a little bit. It's really making me dizzy and busying the picture too much. Loosing some of the other details in it. Maybe try some shadows on the tree and character for a bit of added depth.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 03:14:18 am
Ah, alright, thanks for that edit, I see what you mean now :D. And once again..the grass :P I'll keep working at that, and make sure it's not too distracting. As well, I'm going to change the plain solid grass to something similar to what Zelda: LTTP did, with their small clumps of grass spread throughout a solid block of color.

Also, there will be shadows later, however these are most likely going to be rendered by the game, or with a simple overlay.

EDIT: Here's the update. C&C is still appreciated! :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:14:27 am by Q.K. »

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:26:03 pm
Having 2 different grass styles is your major downfall. That's why it looks wierd. One is very busy while another is not busy at all. You can try and bring the two togetehr or just stick to one.

How to bring 2 together? Just redo your blank grass and add some small things to it. Usually things as simmple as just blobs or 2-3 strands of grass one ach will make look significantly better. Second, tone down your busy grass (I am used to this being refreed toa s swamp tiles), once again try to pergaps make the strands appear longer then on your usual grass, that in itself will make for toning down. Final step is the transition, yours sucks, alot. You can perhaps try and "gradient" the business of the grass, but that's tough to acomplish in 1 tile, so you might have to do 2. Or you can stick to 1 buy the transition might seem a bit rapid.

Also you'll need colors OTHER than green to make the whole tileet appear more vibrant and "break up the grid even further" granted there is no grid on your picture but w/e. Try adding yellow/red/white flowers, clumps of dirt etc.

That beign said, love the tree and bushes XD
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:09 pm
i dont think this counts as a dead topic yet, but lock if im mistaken.........

have you considered going back to the white sleeved version?

i know you werent so fond of the idea at first, since the green was important, but the white will definately help the character stand out against not just this background, but many others
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 07:33:43 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:12:30 pm
Oh wow, it's been a while since I've seen that :P The white sleeves are actually sounding like a good idea now... I'll see about reworking some of the colors on him.

BTW, this is just a bit off topic, but if you have any more concept art hanging around anywhere, would you mind PMing them to me? Thanks..

Back on topic, I've gone and added some water, as well as just done some minor changes to the rest of the tiles... but I'll probably hold off from updating until I have something larger like...cliffs or houses. So...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:17:32 pm
I'd suggest that you try making the purple dirt around the dirt spot just a tad bit darker, see how it would look. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to your next update :]
' _ '