AuthorTopic: [C+C] Character/style with thick colored lines.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

[C+C] Character/style with thick colored lines.

on: May 08, 2017, 06:20:31 pm
Over the years I've always been intrigued by the idea of doing something with a specific style:
-The use of thick lines
-Saturated palette with colored lines on most characters/interactive objects
-White as a base value for lots of tones (skin, rock, etc)

I sat down and tried to actualize this idea over the past day or two. the left character is where I started, while the two on the right are where I'm at now. On the right is a small scene where I'm fiddling with what a tileset would like like.

My question would be, am I onto something here? Or are the colors too bright/ irritating to look at with so much white/brightness. I feel like I need more input!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Character/style with thick colored lines.

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:23:34 pm
I'd say this looks pretty good! Lisa the painful RPG does a similar thing but has more of an Earthbound vibe to it than this does, if you want something with a similar but not quite the same aesthetic to what you've done here take a peek at that!

EDIT: adding a screenshot so you can compare!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:52:54 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:09:10 am
I love it! But I think it could look better if you replaced the pure black with another color.

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:51:18 am
@MysteryMeat yea I'm familiar with and enjoy the style of Lisa. Considering if I moved forward with this, the game would be an rpg/platform hybrid and be made with the same engine, it'd be tough not to make a comparison.

@Curly You talking about the black boots in particular? I also have a few dashes of black here and there to add some depth, though they could indeed be sticking out too much.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:04:15 pm
No, I meant the black bits in the hair and the environment. It's not that noticeable in the boots, it doesnt contrast so much with the surrounding colors as in the parts I've just mentioned. The eyes didn't bother me neither.

It doesn't ruin it but it stands out too much, specially in the ground. I think it could look better with a different dark color.

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:26:54 am
Ok, Curly. gotcha. I've tuned it

My latest thing is struggling with how to light/color environmental tiles. I've tried a bunch of things, but I've been finding that the patterns are becoming too busy on a 1280/720 resolution. After all this fiddling, I find that the most simplistic approach on the left works best, though I had really wanted to include some form of lighting on the mid-lower part of the rock. Like I said though, simple=better.

any other takes on how to add some lighting to the rock on the left?