AuthorTopic: Tileset WIP not looking the best :(  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Tileset WIP not looking the best :(

on: April 30, 2017, 06:08:45 pm
Hello, I would appreciate some criticism, advice and help for this tileset I'm making. I wanted to start off with some hard ground/ rocks but they don't look as good as I want them to be.

I think the problem is within the rocks themselves, the shape and placement but I don't really know how to fix them. I don't want them to look too cartoonish though but I just don't know how to fix it. Maybe I will eventually need to redo them completely? Or should I use less colours than 4 for the vertical pattern?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Tileset WIP not looking the best :(

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:41:01 pm
It's the perspective! As it is here, the rocks look kind of like they're free-floating up. You could probably roll with that though, just add some moss to the very topmost ones for a more reliable platform surface and from there maybe add some extra tiles with floating rock clusters.

To make it a proper hard ground though, you'll have to re-draw it entirely. A good thing to reference would be a mountain path or dry lakebed, to give you a proper idea of the shapes you need to work with! Google mang, it's your friend!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:55:01 pm
Thank you, I will just quickly try to finish the last tiles for this anyway because I have to hurry with completing university projects but next week I may have spare time to redraw it :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:16 pm
Oh, a quick fix could be to shift things to overlap instead of have gaps between everything! Try doing that real quick, see if it fixes much!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:36:15 pm
Hey, thank you for advice! I just finished adjusting the tiles (tried to do it fairly quickly but couldn't) and that's how it looks now. I personally think it looks slightly better than the previous version, though after the assignments I will try to redraw it from scratch.

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:00 pm

some update, it's almost finished, will do slopes and that's all for it. At later date I will redraw it.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:53:36 pm
try less, but bigger rocks per tile.
It certainly will make it easier to look at.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:48 am
try less, but bigger rocks per tile.
It certainly will make it easier to look at.
How do you know how big they're supposed to be without knowing the resolution of his game? They look fine at 3x or 4x to me.

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 02:16:25 pm
Sorry for not responding, right now I'm not redrawing the tileset because I need to have it done rather than done well because I only have 9 days to finish all the coursework.

And yes the (potential) game will be 2x or 3x the original size because I like larger pixels. Though I agree that there is way too many small rocks, not really because they are small but rather unappealing and sort of hmmm just don't look well.

Offline Sokyogoku

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 02:23:48 pm
By the way, I did update the tileset making few more tiles. I only need to do couple more grass tiles but other than that I won't change it until 19th of May. The recolour was made in aseprite, new layer with the blue background colour and mode set to soft shadow? Soft light? Do you know different way of making background tiles?

I also started on making some plants and bushes.