AuthorTopic: How can i improve this picture ?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Michael4life

• View Profile

How can i improve this picture ?

on: April 28, 2017, 10:44:11 am
Hi, i'm new here and i'm beginner in pixel art so i'm making pixel sprites for my first game and i made this character and i need to know is it good or bad and how to improve it and please give me some tips too

so here is it : http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/Michael4life/Soldier_zps8nuajlbm_1.png

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:03:54 pm by Michael4life »

Offline CupOhJoe

• @CupOhhJoe
    • http://cupohjoe
    • View Profile
    • Art Joe Art!

Re: How can i improve this picture ?

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:27:34 pm
Hey Michael4life, 

What kind of game are you making?  Are you looking for something similar to Contra?  That's definitely the vibe I'm getting from seeing your sprite. 

As for your sprite, I like that you went with the complimentary red & green color scheme with the bandanna and cargo pants.  But, I think overall your sprite could use some polish.  Have you tried any traditional drawing/anatomy studies?  Or looked at reference from other games? 

I think having a general idea of how you want your game to look can help make the steps to get your sprites where you want them.  Don't be afraid of reference and sketching stuff out before hoping into pixels!  :)

cupohjoespixels.carbonmade.com

Offline Michael4life

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:03:22 pm
Thanks, yeah i want make a game like contra, a zombie game, i started making sprites without following any tutorials and i didn't tried any traditional drawing/anatomy studies
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:05:43 pm by Michael4life »

Offline CupOhJoe

• @CupOhhJoe
    • http://cupohjoe
    • View Profile
    • Art Joe Art!

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:21 pm
Well, I definitely think if you want to improve that sprite you should look up some reference on soldiers.  Adding some more military parts to that sprite could help add to it. 

Also, the reason I mentioned drawing is that understanding the fundamentals of art/illustration can really help you develop some solid looking pixel art.   And obviously looking up tutorials will help, but knowing the art fundamentals can transfer over. 
cupohjoespixels.carbonmade.com

Offline Michael4life

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:18:12 am
Well, I definitely think if you want to improve that sprite you should look up some reference on soldiers.  Adding some more military parts to that sprite could help add to it. 

Also, the reason I mentioned drawing is that understanding the fundamentals of art/illustration can really help you develop some solid looking pixel art.   And obviously looking up tutorials will help, but knowing the art fundamentals can transfer over.

Okay, Thanks a lot