Game: Mega Man Xtreme
Platform: GB/GBC  October 20, 2000

It is done in 4 colors. It looks nice.

wolfenoctis:
Game: Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Release Year: 1999
Platform: Arcade

Always admired these:

Also appreciating the technical lengths the early developers had to go to in order to produce pixel art graphics (video might be interesting to some):

Cyangmou:
Game: Beyond Oasis
Release Year: 1994
Platform: Mega Drive

This  is the oldest game I know of which falls pretty much in line with the modern "cluster approach" of pixel art, and despite some dithering here and there the whole thing is scaringly similar to a lot of techniques displayed in current pixel works.

Interestingly enough this game already used quite a high resolution for their assets and generally feels really clean and colorful and while this prodction is kind of pioneering many things so commonly seen today, and there are already so many great choices evident, that it's just worth to take a look.

I made a collection with various backgrounds:

goatmeal:
Game: Alundra
Release Year: 1997
Platform: PlayStation

One of the first games I've ever played. I used to rent this game when I was a kid and I always enjoyed the art, but couldn't appreciate it to the extent I do today.

Just a very visually pleasing game to look at. Very moody, very depressing, but very good.

0xDB:
Game: Battle Bugs (puzzle strategy)
Release Year: 1994
Platform: PC(DOS)

What I loved most about this game were the in-game unit animations but so far I only managed to rip the unit-description-cards which were stored in an ancient 16 color planar mode. Took me all day to figure that out so might as well post them here:

Through the magic of in-browser emulation, it's possible to play this gem of a game over there (https://classicreload.com/battle-bugs.html) to check out the whole user interface which is full of charming little details in all screens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version