General > General Discussion

Pixel-Gameart Appreciation Thread

<< < (6/10) > >>

goatmeal:
Game: Alundra
Release Year: 1997
Platform: PlayStation

One of the first games I've ever played. I used to rent this game when I was a kid and I always enjoyed the art, but couldn't appreciate it to the extent I do today.

Just a very visually pleasing game to look at. Very moody, very depressing, but very good.

0xDB:
Game: Battle Bugs (puzzle strategy)
Release Year: 1994
Platform: PC(DOS)

What I loved most about this game were the in-game unit animations but so far I only managed to rip the unit-description-cards which were stored in an ancient 16 color planar mode. Took me all day to figure that out so might as well post them here:

Through the magic of in-browser emulation, it's possible to play this gem of a game over there (https://classicreload.com/battle-bugs.html) to check out the whole user interface which is full of charming little details in all screens.

WhiteFalcon:
Ok, registerd now just to share the love of game pixel art :-) I have always been fascinated by what people can do with a couple of colors and a little pixel space. Starting my journey in the 8bit era through lots of MS-DOS PC games, I would have tons of examples I love, so I have to limit myself to just a few. Quite difficult really as there are so many old games with amazing pixel graphics..

PS.: I am no artist by any means, more into music production and partly programming, so I have no idea what I am talking about here ;-) Some are my captures, but most of them found on the web.

Simon the Sorcerer (PC)

Can't but love pixel gfx of nature - meadows, trees, stones, the sky.. all is enchanting here.

Legend of Kyrandia: Book One (PC)

Nostalgia plays a large role here, true, one of the most influential games in my childhood. But still, the scenery, the light&shadow, I just purred with delight :-)

Eye of the Beholder 2 (PC)

Again by Westwood, they seemed to handle 320x200 with <256 colors so well!

Okay, enough now, dont want to be accused of spamming.

Storyteller:
Breath of Fire 4.
While BoF3 was absolutely professional, and a playable cartoon; BoF4 was a work of art. The colors used in the desert areas at the beginning, the sprites, the amount of motion and life each character had, the mix between hand painted and seeming tilemap work on the pseudo 3d maps (desert cliffs), the pixel art textures used in the full 3d areas. Excellence in pixel art that used very simple 3d effects almost seamlessly with the 2d.

Crow:

--- Quote from: Storyteller on May 04, 2017, 11:18:40 pm ---Breath of Fire 4.
While BoF3 was absolutely professional, and a playable cartoon; BoF4 was a work of art. The colors used in the desert areas at the beginning, the sprites, the amount of motion and life each character had, the mix between hand painted and seeming tilemap work on the pseudo 3d maps (desert cliffs), the pixel art textures used in the full 3d areas. Excellence in pixel art that used very simple 3d effects almost seamlessly with the 2d.

--- End quote ---

Please add some images :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version