AuthorTopic: Run Animation  (Read 2482 times)

Offline llamacyst

• View Profile

Run Animation

on: April 05, 2017, 04:28:45 pm

Okay, so on the left you'll see the run animation and right is how the character is meant to  look. I'm pretty happy with how the look turned out, but the run animation looks all kinds of messed up imo. I used the nuclear throne run animation as a reference.

I would appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: Run Animation

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:40:59 pm
i can see you applied the reference well on the legs, those look very good, however the rest could use some work. I just applied some basic squatching and stretching while the body moves up and down.
Edit:

If you have any questions i could go into more detail.

also on the sprite in general, why didn't you remove the double pixels on the body?:
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:21:01 pm
I'd do that on the lighter edge​ of the shading but leave the doubles intact on darks. Good way to replicate line weight!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline llamacyst

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:52 pm
Edit:

Oooh, that looks so much better, the squash really makes it satisfying to look at. I'm trying to work it into my version now, but the software i use doesn't stretch or squash images (it's macromedia flash w/ an extension) so i have to redraw the image each frame.

It'll do for now, but i really think the process would be sped up with better software. I'm thinking about aesprite or graphicsgale since they both have free versions, any thoughts?

also on the sprite in general, why didn't you remove the double pixels on the body?:

I felt as though leaving the double pixels gives the cloth a sense of thickness, but i think ill go with what MysteryMeat had to say, i kinda dig the look.

Thanks for the help.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:47:41 pm
I use aseprite, much more appealing interface and WAY better features in paid version!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:36:34 am
Really nice squash and stretch update. Really adds character to the run cycle. I use Pyxel Edit for pixel animation. They also have a free version that works well for animation too.

Anyway, I feel like maybe you should see more of the sword arm (bicep and stuff) since the character is 3 quarter view. Or the sword should be held further back. It seems too close to the body.