AuthorTopic: [WIP}] The star of our show, meet Bob  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

[WIP}] The star of our show, meet Bob

on: April 03, 2017, 12:50:55 pm
So did this in GMS2, getting the hang of their animation and layering system.

Ended up collapsing frames on this, so its really just a base now.
Again, very flat, and I think the left (behind) leg is a bit too mudy. It reads as a little fat guy running, but still not "scurrying". Think I pretty much got the 'flow' of the walk cycle though. Kinda needs that 8th frame, around 5 or so, Its a seven frame walk, meant to do a 6 frame 'on threes' and probably should just do a 4 frame thats more exagerated, idk, maybe next session. The frame I think it needs is the 'cross' as the left leg hikes to swing forward.

Here is Bob:

newest

first draft

him runnin'

EDIT: 10 FPS

flow ok?
does it read?
add a frame for smootness or cut frames and exaggerate the motions?

Im working from 'the Animator's Survival Kit', the only run not listed is 'scurry' and Im thinking its the reverse of 'fast run' in the book, ie, leaning way back with feet out in front, instead of into the run.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:44:39 am by Storyteller »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [WIP}] The star of our show, meet Bob

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:02:07 pm
It looks like you have a decent walking animation here, but you're playing it too fast, which hurts the read. If you want a run, you'll need a very different motion, running isn't just fast walking.

It's playing so fast I can't track the motion of the legs, so I can't even tell if it looks good or not. Something seems off, but I think it might just be because of the speed.

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:21 pm
10 FPS gif loaded.  :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:34 pm
The orange leg seems to be forward much faster than it moves backward, making it feel like it's dragging along.

The head seems to bob independently of the body. Head bobs in walking are just the result of the torso, to which the head is attached by the rigid neck, moving up and down as a result of the legs being apart (thus lowering the torso) and close together beneath the body (raising the torso). In your animation, the torso doesn't move, but the head does, which looks strange.

The way you've animated the hips is good, there's a nice sense of rotation, but the rest of the torso doesn't have this, the shoulders seem to be fixed in place instead of rotating counter-phase to the hips like they should be.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:00:51 pm
As said above, it's not a running cycle, it's a walk cycle, so if you want your character to look like it runs, you'll have to make a separate animation.

I also have this feeling that the character is not moving, the back leg looks like it pushes him back, kind of moonwalking. You should make it clear that the leg looses contact with the ground before landing again in front of the character.

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:42:17 am
update in first post.

here is a link to a demo of the game. no collision or scores or such yet, just a proof of concept

https://wayfarer-games.000webhostapp.com/index.html

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:19:50 am
When making run animations I use a reference from google images. If you search for "run cycle" or "walk cycle" you'll find a bunch of resources.

What this does is it let's you choose a style of running you like, and then you can copy the poses frame by frame. I usually use an 8 frame run cycle, but 6 frame is just fine.

Really study the keyframes, if you're like me you'll be surprised how much there is to learn about they way people learn to run.

Offline Storyteller

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:49 pm
yeah, Ive got the Animator's Survival Kit here for my reference images. a whole bunch of those online images, are scans of this book. I have a few other books on animation and classical drawing

Just a two circle little fat man on a four frame cycle. I am not wanting to get bogged down on details on this project, its a single screen arcade game. It doesn't have to be perfect, just done enough so it reads. I really want that leaned-back sort of run, the feet leading the body, the big gut out in front. He isn't really running, he is scurrying. Hustling.

I think the next thing I need to do, is start blocking in my colors on each layer for each body part. I just want to do the back limbs in a slightly different/darker color than the head and body, and the front limbs slightly lighter. Should the back limbs be darker, less saturated or both? The front limbs should be slightly lighter? or more saturated or both? And the central masses, the body and head should be in the middle of the ramp, right?

After colors is detailing, the hood, the boots, the gloves and his coat, so add some color then for buttons and his belt, coat and face, etc, give everything definition. I might shade after that, but I rather want a very simple arcade style look. I'll keep looking for references.