AuthorTopic: Opinion on Char  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Re: Opinion on Char

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 03:41:01 am
This does look promising. I have a suggestion.

I think you need to get a solid reference of the characters body and build on that. So ignore the cloak. Try to sketch a rough outline of the characters upper body: head, shoulders and arms then go from there. When this looks alright then begin detailing a cloak over the figure.

when i first saw this, "the thinker" statue came to mind. Perhaps this will be a good reference? he's a bit chunkier but would it be easier to wrap a cloak on this guy?
http://www.thestarkeepers.com/images/The%20Thinker.gif

Offline cpaw88

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 08:12:34 am
The only problem I can see from your first picture is your Grim doesn't apear to have any depth, it looks some what flat.  However you have a great overall drawing and concept of your peice, keep up the great work.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 09:30:23 am
Well I decided to do an edit about what could be done with your first image.

I think overall the shading on it was really random and messy. You don't have a constant lightsource and it looks as though you just scribbled different shades around. I know my edit isn't really great as I'm not good at shading either, but it does show something more constant. I also think the outline is a bit stiff, but I didn't change any of that. It really has no pose, it doesn't show any depth of the character, or anything else to make it stand out. I also think, out of the few colours to do with this, the ones you picked were a bit off so I changed those a bit, I added just a bit of saturation to the greys.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 05:24:22 pm
I noticed that he requested critique on the structure. So far there hasn't been mentioned much about the characters proportions, so I though I'd throw in my two cents.

I recreated your reaper with the dimensions of the average human. Ideally, it's 8 heads tall, but I made him about 7. (I left the measurements to compare.) Having normal height usually makes characters seem more natural. I noticed that your character has his arms hanging more in front of the shoulders rather than on the side. Also, having your hand over your leg like that is not a very comferable pose when you're just standing straight up. The hood is usually a long circle rather than the more square hood you've given him. It works in some cases, but might make the fabric seem stiffer. I also quickly added some shadows to show what your lightsource can do to bring out the fabric. Tilted the scythe as well as a straight up and down line can make pictures less dynamic.

Hope some of it helps.

Offline Pixeled_Midget

• Keep it L337
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 05:58:45 pm
omg love all suggestions ty guyz gonna get pixeling right now

Offline Pixeled_Midget

• Keep it L337
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:33:28 pm
Ok i have spent about a half hour messing around with my guy, i dont think i have the pallette right but i am still experimenting with it.  Have i overdone the light source? And im not sure how to porportion his legs while he is sitting down, i tried drawing a stick figure as base refrence and working off it.
Also the arm seems too small? (Just thinking to myself  :P)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 07:54:04 pm
Saturation should never be 0 (or so close to 0), I think you should add a discret blue/purple shade ^^

Offline Pixeled_Midget

• Keep it L337
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 08:09:07 pm
Thanks i was wondering how to get colour, otherwise he was gonna be black and white, and i shall increase saturation right away
Is this shading a bit better?
Edit * Darkend hood and added a purple colur (not having desired affect)*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:20:31 pm by Pixeled_Midget »