AuthorTopic: Far shine  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Far shine

on: October 22, 2006, 07:56:41 am

For Punaji's colour and emotion contest. Sky needs more clouds and I'm not sure if I'll keep the seagull...what are your thoughts on it? Also, what feelings do you think I'm trying to transmit?

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: Far shine

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:20:28 pm
It's saying "freedom" to me.
I'm not sure I know what's up with the clouds converging at a point, it looks like something conserved for a storm or a tornado.
I like the colors though, they all mix well.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 02:38:33 pm
thats beautiful, wouldn't think that was pixel art, it looks so smooth.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 04:01:13 pm
With your permiss:

Up the contrast an hue colors.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:36 pm
Add a sun in there, other then that the edit is what you should go for. Unless you wanted to go for a cloudy look

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 04:17:27 pm
In my opinion, the desaturated original actually looks better in this case, especially as far as portraying emotion through color. Though I think more hue variation would go well with the currently solid blue skies. Perhaps you should make the background sky in the colors of a sunset?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 04:18:44 pm
With your permiss:

Up the contrast an hue colors.

All you did is make it look more cartoony IMO.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 04:44:17 pm
Add a sun in there

No need for that.  ;)

As for the picture, I'm thinking it would be interesting seeing it with a more yellow-ish hue on the top clouds. Seeing as the sun is shining directly at us, I would expect there to be some strong shine on their backside and possibly on the birds edges as well. If you want to go over the top, you could even add some lightlines in between the gaps (though this sometimes looks cheezy.)

Sadly I can't say I'm feeling the blue edit. The colours clash with the dull gray that's used on the rest and makes the bird look more painted on top rather than part of the picture. IMO of course.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 04:49:15 pm
@rabidbaboy: Yes, freedom is one of the feelings I tried to capture. Glad you like it :)

@Terley: Thank you ;D you'll probably enjoy my next update it is still smooth but has a much organic feeling, I think!

@Matriax: Thank you for the edit, even though it is a bit too drastic for the purposes of my picture - it gives it a too lively feeling :(

@VictoR: Well, the light is supposed to be the sun...guess I failed there :-[

@Overkil: Well the point of the activity is to portray an emotion by the use of one hue/colour (not necessarily in an abstract way) so I'm not going to incorporate many (if any) hueshift in here. Thank you for the suggestion though.

A little explation of what I was trying to do here: as it has been noticed already, freedom is one of the words. Personally I find that easy to spot since birds in flight are the main representation for that. Apart from that, I tried to depict calmness/serenity, by the use of the blue-ish tone, and hope, with the representation of the light appearing in the midst of the grey clouds.
An update should come in few time (and since this has to be done by 10 pm...)

PS: snake posted as I was writing, thanks a lot for replying :y: do mean rim lights?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:57:46 pm by Filax_666 »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 05:03:52 pm
You didn't fail, I just didn't see it. Try adding more brighting around the inner parts of the clouds. These colors are really good. This doesn't look like pixel art, more like a paiting IMO.