AuthorTopic: [C+C] Assorted Rookie Stuff  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Bact

• View Profile

[C+C] Assorted Rookie Stuff

on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:39 am
I am scared to post this, because I know damn well that I'm not very good.

The rules say to put in some effort and I guarantee you that I tried.

Lastly, for the sake of you guys being able to comment more on my fundamentals, I saved some of the process of me doing a bottle.

The bottle made me realize that I might have some major immaturity in my understanding of lights, among other things.

I feel that I am somehow missing some highlights in many of my images that I normally would not have problems with using a pencil.

What can I do to improve? How would you improve on the images that I posted? Am I missing something in my fundamentals and should wait with trying to create pixel art?

EDIT:

Good bit of advice is always to start googling for tutorials and drawing from life.

Next, try to break up the tangent lines along your glass! As it is, it looks a bit polygonal. Something to try might be to, instead of shading in vertical chunks, work in mingled shapes of color and shadow. Experiment with variations on dithering techniques!

Thank you for your swift response.

I tried to do some of what I think you were trying to tell me with this.

My initial plan was to have the glass of the bottle have no opacity whatsoever, but I feel like that would be a waste, since you were kind enough to give me insight on how to understand the glass and liquid. I will be putting in some effort in trying to understand it better before bumping, as I am still not sure what you mean by tangent lines, clearance or how to add it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:06:15 pm by Bact »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Assorted Rookie Stuff

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:27 am
Good bit of advice is always to start googling for tutorials and drawing from life.

More specifically though, let's look at that bottle. Let's really THINK about what's going on there!
How is the light interacting with the glass and the contents of the bottle? Is the fluid inside transparent? opaque? reflective? and how thick is the glass?

Assuming it's a chocolate milk bottle, we can assume the glass should have about a pixel minimum clearance between the edge and the contents. Second, it will be helpful to look up some pictures of chocolate milk to get an idea of how reflective it is.

Looking at this photo, it appears to be somewhat of a glossy yet dull reflection. So, you'd mostly want to paint it as one or two colors close in tone, then add a bright highlight.

Next, try to break up the tangent lines along your glass! As it is, it looks a bit polygonal. Something to try might be to, instead of shading in vertical chunks, work in mingled shapes of color and shadow. Experiment with variations on dithering techniques!

You seem to have a grasp on 3d space, but really try to work on getting the light around the contours right and fixing that heavy banding!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |