AuthorTopic: What got you into Pixel Art?  (Read 25016 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: What got you into Pixel Art?

Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 08:48:33 am
Scuba Steve, DOOM, and Klik and PLay.

Klik and Play \m/
Though TGF was more of a serious starting point for me pixel-wise.

But before all that, like way before that, I remember making lightsabers in MS Paint by putting down black, spraying it with the spray-paint brush and inverting the colors....used to think it was the coolest stuff.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 09:10:30 am
Um... to tell the truth, the first form of pixeling I did was picture knitting (you basicly draw a picture on graph paper, then knit that same picture, square by square). heh

I then played around occassionally on MS Paint over at my friends and made some simple pixel pics.

When I finally got me a computer (which was only a few years ago) I finally started to really get into pixeling.

The rest is history.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:12:11 am by Ryona »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 09:51:54 am
My dad! My Brother and John and Ste Pickford...

He bought us (me and my bros) an ATARI VCS on xmas (1979) then a  DRAGON 32 (1981) - we made a few games and then in around 1983/4 we got a ZX spectrump...
by that point my bro was making games proper with one of his school chums John Pickford and his brother Steve (both of whom went on to bdl, rare, zed two) at the time John he wrote this ace sprite editor (on the speccy) called "sprite editor"- which I 'borrowed' got me into 2 color pixel animation (prior to that I did the corners of all my excersise books at school with running and jumping stickmen) and then i aquired a copy of melbourne draw... for doing title screens... both on the spectrum... then there was the amstrad and it's grfx package - (Screen Editor) and then the atari ST came along with Degas Elite - and then the PC with Dpaint, autodesk animator (great package that was), photoshop and promotion... (oh the amiga was in there somewhere but I kind of majored on dpaint on the PC [I always found the 'mig version was wrong]))

all things melbourne draw

great article by ste pickford about the early days

oh... and as far back as I can remember it's always been called pixel art... :P and i've always been a pixel pusher... :P "spriting!?!" what kind of a crazy ass goddamn name is that for pushing pixels? - lol :D

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:59:34 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 10:04:15 am
Wow! You've come a long way, Baccaman! No wonder your stuff is always so gorgeous and mesmerising!

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #54 on: November 24, 2006, 02:39:33 pm
Well, I'm not actively into pixelling - I mean, I'm not a pixeller - but still it's the computer graphics form I prefer. The first time I saw a computer game (you know, Intellivision, VIC 20, C=64, etc.), seeing those pixels really fired up my imagination (which cannot happen anymore with today's hyper-realistic games). That got me into computing, where pixelling is second to just coding ;)

The very first time I pixelled something was for some C=64 proggie I wanted to do... but it was not real pixelling, as graphics were "pushed" by means of numbers in code.
The next step was taking a cassette case + inlay and sticking to the inlay a 24x21 grid (that's the size of C=64 sprites, BTW) so that I could draw on the transparent case surface with a felt-tip pen and wipe what I did not like/want with a cloth.
And - oh, boy! - I still have that stuff!!! :crazy:
Here it comes for your delight ;) - please excuse the low quality of the picture:

(you may notice the powers of two at the bottom: those helped me with calculating the binary values to put into the code)

After that, I wrote my own paint program... and actually managed to even draw an animation of a little man dribbling & dunking a ball to a basket (I've been a basketball addict forever). Of course, I still have the tapes... what a pity I don't have a C=64 anymore (and, anyway, I doubt those tapes are still of any use).

Then I left the C=64 for the Amiga, where I started pixelling (again for a gamey of mine) with a tool that makes MS Paint look like the perfect solution for any graphician's wildest dreams: however, back then, it looked to me as a wonderful application... I'm talking about the Object Editor that came with AMOS Professional - a few may be shivering now.

Much later I discovered real paint programs: Deluxe Paint (by Electronic Arts) and Personal Paint (by Cloanto)... and, guess what?!? I use Personal Paint still today!

Well, I went way OT, so I'll stop it here.
saimo

P.S. this post is a bit hurried... I hope it turns out to be readable.