AuthorTopic: What got you into Pixel Art?  (Read 25008 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: What got you into Pixel Art?

Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 10:59:10 pm
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8548/signaturesbb3.png

this is basically my intro to pixel art.. Everyone's gotta start somewhere  :lol:
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 11:15:43 pm
Fighting games. :-) In late '99 I got a Dreamcast, KOF98 and a hand-me-down slot loading iMac and made some fighter sprites on whatever the paint program that came with Appleworks on OS 9 is called. Still got the iMac, but I do most of my stuff on my 10X faster PC.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 02:27:44 pm
I touched pixels a decade ago and more, but the first time I tried to understand the techniques concerning them was in second-version pixelation.

Offline pixelsforhire

• http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
    • http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/

Reply #43 on: November 04, 2006, 09:19:11 am
I'm a huge fan of old games, as are most people here, I assume. I enjoy old console RPGs, arcade fighters, DOS strategy games (Stardock is making a sequel to Master of Magic! Yeehaw!) and 16 bit action games. I really liked the art, as well as the gameplay. I thought the limitations of the early consoles and computers were kind of like iambic pentameter in poetry. It limits you, but the limitations in some paradoxical way free your imagination. I tried programming some with Game Maker and got pretty handy with GML, even making a nifty program that drew red and blue wireframes that pop out at you with 3D goggles (a crappy Starfox Clone.) I wanted to attract other coders to help me make my games, and thought that the best way would be by making really pretty screenshots. So I pixeled. I really like working with pixels, small tile based stuff in particular, so I think I'm stickin' with it. I don't do GML anymore (hard to find serious people to work with.) Maybe someday I'll be good enough to do some professional work on the side.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: November 04, 2006, 03:32:14 pm
Forgive the OT but I had to comment on this:
Mario Paint's Stamp editor mode along with the Nintendo Power "Player's Guide" (if you can call it that).

That guide was awesome! I made a full Metroid scene with it and showed everyone I knew :p thanks for the awesome memory.

I also still listen to Mario Paint music when I pixel.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: November 04, 2006, 03:56:04 pm
Dates... I actually started about 2004. Armed with only crude drawings and very basic art knowledge.

I loved Mario Paint too. Especially the music maker. ;D

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 05:08:14 pm
I guess in around 1999 or 2000 when I was about 11, I got my Gameboy Camera and I used to use the paint mode quite a lot, although I wouldn't call it serious pixeling. Around that time I went to see some Chuck Close pieces at a gallery in London, I was really impressed and I thought about how similar they were to the aesthetics of Gameboy games, especially since a lot of the ones I saw were greyscale. I only really started to get seriously interested about 2 or 3 years ago when I saw all the good stuff on sites like Pixelation.

I wished I'd saved my old photo's/drawings on my Gameboy Camera  :'(

Offline Royal Syrup

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 05:25:14 pm
Graal Online. When I joined all the user-made things sucked, and by the time I was good enough to confidently submit new graphics there was tons of good stuff.
Weird, same deal with me except a friend introduced me to pixel art, I didn't even know it was an actual type. Then, I entered a new world, well, just the same, but expanded.

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: November 23, 2006, 07:25:30 pm
Scuba Steve, DOOM, and Klik and PLay.
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #49 on: November 23, 2006, 09:47:08 pm
And I was tired of masturbating and needed a new hobby.

XD ah, that is a good hobby.  :P

How did I get into pixelling...

Dolls.  :-X