AuthorTopic: What got you into Pixel Art?  (Read 25019 times)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: What got you into Pixel Art?

Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 04:47:20 am
It's really nice hearing how you guys got into pixeling. Fun fun!

Offline HauntedArt

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 11:09:08 pm
I got into it because I wanted to make games too. I dabbled a bit with it Games Factory when I was a stupid little kid, and at that time I didn't even know it was pixelart, much less how to make the game actually work. I just enjoyed making some sort of ship... and then another... and then making one move while the other being controlled by me and shooting stuff at the other ship and playing it over, and over, and over... :P If I only used that time to learn a real programming language. Stupid me...
Anyway, after that it's been a little on and off, mainly doing different sets of stuff I dream about would come to life finally in some game, if I ever learnt how to program. I'm still doing that... And I STILL can't program anything more advanced than different incarnations of "Hello cruel world of games that don't program themselves" in about 3-4 different languages...

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 11:38:05 pm
I started in Mspaint 7 maybe 5 years ago, just drawing stuff (wallpapers), because I'd never heard of other programs. I thought it was the only thing to create things, and then I discovered Rpg maker in begin 2002, and start spriting, well and after that period it really ends, didn't do pixeling for about 4-5 years (I was to busy playing Quake III, Unreal etc.). And suddenly photoshop came into my life, first I made stuff using photo's and filters, later I developed my skills with vectors, and now back to basics, so I really started again with these little pixels mid-2006, in order to learn gamedevelopment :)

Maybe I can digg some stuff up from ye olde times :P
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 01:44:05 am
I dabbled a bit with it Games Factory when I was a stupid little kid,

Don't put yourself down man..
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:52 am
He's putting the kid that was him down.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 04:17:56 am
Thats very deep GS, thank you.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 04:22:25 am
what about dates people? I want to know dates...I think it'd be interesting to find out how the internet pixel cult started out.

I think....I started my interest on pixelart (knowing what it was, because as I said I drew mario levels in my notebooks) in 1998 and I got to actually doing it in 1999...

Godslayer...I think that's still just as bad, you know..the inner kid kicks ass, we put down innocence way too much in this individualist society....sorry I have to have an opinion on everything XDD

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 05:07:54 am
Mario Paint's Stamp editor mode along with the Nintendo Power "Player's Guide" (if you can call it that).

There was a section in the middle that showed you how to make sprites from zelda, Street fighter, and a bunch of other crap.

A few weeks later, I found MSPaint. Then, quite a long time later, I found the original Pixelation tutorials.

As for the Mario Paint date, I think i got it for Christmas of 1992, then I got the player's guide early spring of 1993.

I don't remember when I found out how pixels worked the same as the Stamp Editor in MSPaint, but I remember I was at my cousins house when I figured it out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:10:53 pm by Rynen10K »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 11:19:09 am
what about dates people? I want to know dates...I think it'd be interesting to find out how the internet pixel cult started out.
I know no exact date, however I was around pixelation at it's original creation, was monitoring tsu's tutorials page, and guess that the activity began picking up popularity on the net around the time of the second iteration of Pixelation (the first was a modest 'board with green writing on blue bg, mimicing the tutorials.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 02:33:58 pm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:36:16 pm by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.