AuthorTopic: What got you into Pixel Art?  (Read 25023 times)

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Re: What got you into Pixel Art?

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 09:25:08 am
I first got my hands dirty (I'm not talking about masturbating) with little icons on a shabby old palmtop. That was about 4 years ago. Of course I was always a big fan of the old (-> DOS, SNES, NES) games and their graphics. But it all got really serious early 2005. Well kinda serious.
And after a long night pixel-pushing there is always a hand and the idea of a reward...

AI: Wait you reminded me of the "basic" times. With 10 years I had some kind of scientific calculator from my dad. It had basic on it and a four lines monochrome display or something. I "pset"-ed my first rudimentary pictures with that - and continued in colour with qbasic on my first pc.

AI again: But you've definitely got the coolness-points with linux and scripting(python it is?). I'm thinking of switching to linux sooner or later too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:40:40 am by Niss »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 07:27:59 pm
A lot like Xion's case, I was tired of masturbating and needed a new hobby. That was what that story was about, right?
Haha, no.
I started because I wanted to become the next great game designer. It's an aspiration that I still have, but I know now that I can't just sit down and make a game with a snap of my fingers. I'd found RPG Maker 2000 back in...uh, 2000, and made little edits to the characters as I saw fit. I knew then that anything I made from scratch would suck, so I didn't even try. Then I found GameMaker and realized that it's graphic package was even worse than my own abilities. I opened a file in paint that I'd made a while ago and imported it, animated it, and made a little platform game which I somehow thought would become the Cave Story of the day. But Cave Story didn't exist back then. After about 70 little unfinished games made with gamemaker, I found to Pixelation and began improving my art for the sake of being art rather than just a little character in a game. I still made games in gamemaker but when I saw people making standalone images, I tried making one. I saw pixel artists like Monsoon2d, Helm, David, Blick (Yes, Blick), Kenneth Fejer, and Panda Guy, who greatly influenced me in my style both at and away from the computer. Sals'(Adam Tierny[sp?]) and Camus'(Conceit) animations and those black and white anime pixel movies made me want to learn how to animate, then I saw Paul Robertson's stuff and had my mind blown. Now I want to be just like them, only better. (Thus my delusions of grandeur.)

And here I am today.

However lately I've been pixeling less, and finishing nothing (I'll get back to that Dream Sweet pic eventually). I may eventually quit altogether in favor of traditional art, then come back later when mah skillz are honed and I'm ready to finish something. (Thus the psychotic fads dissipating to reality.)
But until then, I hope I don't become another infamous artist who never finishes his stuff. :sry:

Well, that was more of an autobiography of my pixel-art life than "What got me into it," but oh well.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 07:48:16 pm
many years ago i was bored at my aunts house, and opened mspaint. i stubled apon the zoom button and saw that when i did that, it made everything look "gamey". that was in 2000, because i was drawing big the cat. i wouldnt call this pixelart, it was basically small oekaki? lol

then, 5 years later i had a game idea(horrible one) and i remembered how i did that big the cat years ago and started real pixeling. i made a character that was about 48 pixels tall and he had no shading. i actually still have a boss that i later made for that same game, it was made after i found the original pixelation and dipped my brain into things such as dithering.

ah the memories!
http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watergod8gp.png

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 08:05:29 pm
Desktop icons ^-^

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 10:24:50 pm
Me and Artisan used to fuck around in photoshop / ms paint making isometric stuff heavily inspired by super totto.

I then got my imac G3 and photoshop (legally of course  ;) 'cos we'd hate to deprive big multi million dollar companies of money wouldn't we?) about 2/3 years ago.
I then joined pixeljoint and realised there was pixel-art beyond isometrics  :o
I then became a massive lurker on pixelopolis. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:26:40 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 10:29:17 pm
Video Games, man! AGI sierra adventure games, Shadow of the Beast, Flashback. Looking at those things real closely is why I became interested in what pixels can do. Messing around with them started to make apparent what they can do that other art forms cannot, and there you go.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 10:44:39 pm
Oh I first started on Tip.it runescape forums making runescape signatures using paint cus I didn't have any other program, at first I didn't think of it as pixel-art, don't remember even know what pixel art was.. Sick and tired of trying to make 'pixel signatures'  :durr: (they were hardly that as one of my pieces was 200+ unecissery colours), I realised there is more to pixel art than what I have been doing.. im still trying to shake off those old bad habits.

I've picked up a lot from you guys over the last two years or so, first off I was a lurker learning from others, now hopefully I can be considered a 'pixel artist'. My goals are and always have been to make a game someday, and add my own animations.

(I'd don't consider any of my older work 'pixel art', they're just signatures made in paint really)
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 11:40:21 pm
I'd say that a few things helped get me into pixel art. Around 4 or so years ago, we had got rid of internet, and I was left with basically a blank PC with nothing fun to do than open up MSPaint and doodle. So, for about a year (or two?) without internet and only drawing in MSPaint, I got fairly good at controlling the mouse when drawing.

A little later on, I started playing a game that everyone in my area was called "Well of Souls." It was a fairly cheesy MMORPG that was your standard grindfest with mediocre quests on the side, but the unique thing it had was the ability to make your own "skin" (appearance) for your character, which was basically four or five frames for each possible action your character did in a scene. Game sprites were a popular choice for making skins, so I got into sprite editing from there (mostly SNK sprites) as well as trying to make my own from scratch (based on a "stretch bunny" toy my friend had). That was about the time where I really learned all the little tricks with MSPaint, like all the things you can do with the right-click button.

Take that, and the fact that I became really interested in SNK/Capcom fighting games, as well as getting into the emulation of older games. These days, I'm trying to make graphics to make my own games, and some just for fun and for expressing myself when I'm feeling all artsy-like.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 03:47:57 am
I first dabbled in pixel art by opening MSPaint and making little castle scenes, where all the people stood with their legs at perfect diagonals, 90 degrees from each other.  I soon lost interest in that until I came across VERGE, and wanted to make a video game, of course.  Then in my attempt to learn skills I would do pixel by pixel copies of other sprites, especially this one sprite that was a rip off of Edgar from FF6.  Also the River City Ransom sprites, which I then pumped to all hell with many shades.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 08:09:43 am
not sure if it was even called pixel art when most of us got into it.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!