AuthorTopic: need help with master system palette background  (Read 1737 times)

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

need help with master system palette background

on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:36 am

i've been working on this for a little while but i don't really know where i'm going with it, i don't know how i can make the back grass look good in the back, and i want there to be back trees but finding the right colours is hard because those front ones are already really dark

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: need help with master system palette background

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:12 pm
I think the colours for the back trees are fine, instead I'd focus on making them look more like trees. They're too textured, and they're all so straight and evenly spaced that they look man-made. I think if you get some more organic thunk shapes and variation in there, they'll look great even being solid black.

If you meant you want to do a middle layer of trees, make them black with small dark brown highlights, perhaps? Again, the key is their shapes, not their colours.

I think the back grass looks fine. Normally I'd suggest relying more on clusters than lines, but the style of this entire image seems to be a line-heavy, detail-overload one with black everywhere, so flattening the grass would just make it look out of place.

Offline NAPREDATOR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:03:50 pm
i'm having a hard time making that look good

what do you mean by too textured?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:27 pm
I meant the edges are very irregular. Bark has a texture to it, but it's usually not so intense to look rough from such a distance. From afar, it should look smooth. Any irregularities in it are from the tree's shape - burls, branches, that sort of thing.