AuthorTopic: my first attempt [not complete]  (Read 3946 times)

Offline roobv

• View Profile

my first attempt [not complete]

on: November 05, 2006, 04:26:25 pm
Well this is my first pixel creation :p (im more used to using photoshop to make bigger pictures).
So far the head is complete and the rest is being worked on. Any commentsm/critisism is very appreciated^^ .
Also I can't seem to get a walking/ running animation to work :S if anyone has any templates or anything i would be extremely greatful :P.
Oh and this is for my CaveStory like platformer game, though the graphics will be alot different.

newer version -tried to fix the shading on the hat, added some shading to the shirt
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:34:04 pm by roobv »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: my first attempt [not complete]

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 05:33:57 pm
I suggest if you've never done pixel art to stick with smaller projects and not a game.
Because if you try a game and you get frustrated because it's your first time, you're going to quit.

From what I see from the hat you have a sense of light source, I think you should work on getting some pieces done before you shoot for a game.

Offline lloorren

• View Profile
    • LiveJournal

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:55:31 pm
I love the color choice for the hat, but the black pixels around the edge are a bit sharp, trimming down the black pixels will give it a rounder effect. You also used a lot of colors which can be taken out, such as the dark grey that you paired up with the black outlines, and the slight highlights and slight shadow colors of the main skin tone. Keep it up. :)

Offline roobv

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 06:18:16 pm
thanks!  yah this isn't my first game though and im pretty good with photoshop so that should help a bunch!
-lloorren- could you like show me an example of what you mean you got me a bit confused XD but i get the rounder effect thing ill work on it^^

Offline lloorren

• View Profile
    • LiveJournal

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 06:58:20 pm
Sorry about that! :P

What I was trying to say is that some of your color choices are so close together that you could ditch one of the colors completely.

Offline roobv

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 07:15:13 pm
okay^^ iv began redoing the character in a more cartoony pose and less stiff