AuthorTopic: Project Yi fanart; Lighting and shading idea's please help  (Read 2543 times)

Offline TitanJack

• View Profile
Hey guys, today's LITERALLY my first day doing pixel art, and I decided to draw my favorite character from League of Legends, and I'm in a bit of a sticky situation, I have absolutely NO IDEA on how to shade and do lighting on his face, and would ADORE some suggestions!

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Re: Project Yi fanart; Lighting and shading idea's please help

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:25 am
Its really hard to understand what's going on there to be a bit honest! Why don't you try scaling it down? Pixel Art naturally fits low resolution environments, by doing art on such a high resolution you put yourself under a stress even professionals might struggle with at times!

Also, what is your intention with this piece? Is there any particular style you're aiming for?
Congrats on starting your quest through learning pixel art!

Offline TitanJack

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:04:01 pm
I'm going for a dark surroundings, like a cyberpunk city in the night, and I know his visor is typycally dark except for the lights(The yellow/orange) Which resemble his eyes. I also DID manage to do a micro version of this piece, I went bigger so I could get more detailed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:14:13 pm by TitanJack »

Offline JosephSeraph

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:53:30 pm
My advice then is to finish the "micro" version of the picture, treat it as a study of reference if you will, and only after you're happy with it move it to a bigger resolution. But "detailing" in pixel art is all about being subtle and suggesting things, if you can't do that a big canvas won't help you... Train it!

The small resolution is a lot easier to read too. But since its a dark background, I recommend you not doing it white first -- First thing I personally do is paint the canvas either a middle, neutral gray to help me set the colours (be it in pixel art or regular digital painting) or do a really rough sketch of the composition using only blocks of colors. Sure you can do it with lines but I think you may have a harder time?

Also doing his head facing the camera like that looks a bit stiff, you should try sketching his whole body (up to the hips maybe, but definitely more than the final canvas), his anatomy and stuff, then place his armor on his body. This will allow for a much more natural and well built figure.

Offline TitanJack

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:49:45 am
I've finished on The smaller one, but I don't have enough space to do the buildings or neon lights or holograms, so I think after I finish the face on my 360 x 360 x 24 bit I think I'll refine his sword and start on the buildings, thanks for the critique bro!