AuthorTopic: Fantasy Miniatures  (Read 24703 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: Fantasy Miniatures

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:32:56 pm

Alright so I changed the bases as was mentioned, reworked the wizard and gave the dwarf a first pass. I find there are readability issues but I'm not sure as to how to fix them so here they are.

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:05:17 pm
The hat looks much better now!  :y:

Maybe make the shadow under the fighter's helmet rim a bit darker. He could also wear calf boots instead of leather shoes. You could experiment with putting a small spike or peak onto the helmet, too.

The wizard's robe might be too busy now with two different designs in varying size. I'd test it with only one or the other, both could look good I think (alternate "skin" choice for the character sprite :) )

The upper (or rather, far awar) portion of the bases has a strange curve, especially then looking at the one the dwarf is standing on. Three pixels diagonal, then three horizontal... hm. On the whole, I like them as far as diameter and thickness is concerned. Maybe they could be slightly wider still, to accomodate future characters that have more acrobatic poses ;)

The fighter's sword has this single offset right at the middle, at this pixel scale it looks strange, I think a 2:1 (two up, one right) would be better and still have a different angle than the dwarf's axe.

All in all, these already look great, especialkly the colors and lighting. These beg for some basic animations, just two or three frames for some elements like the wizard's flame spell, the fighter's sword and shield, and the dwarf's axe and right arm (and/or head).

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:40 pm
Here's the edit of the tiles you asked for:

You don't have to make them exactly this size (you should make them whatever size tiles better while still looking roughly like this), but you get the idea.

Also, an edit with some suggestions for the knight, and a possible fix for the wizard's robe being too busy:

On the knight, I made the shield rounder (a flat shield doesn't deflect blows well), and I used highlighting to make the middle of the cuirass pop out rather than look like a groove (using a dark outline tends to do just that). I also made the boots metal, they looked barefoot before. I also added some hip armour, which I mentioned in my earlier post. There are many ways to do it, this is just some very simple cartoony armour.
On the wizard, I just made the yellow parts single-coloured and made the colour duller.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:35 am
I'm not too keen on metal boots but:
-I changed the breast plate based on the edit.
-Made boots instead of shoes
-Removed the moon pattern
-added the hip thing
-Redid the bases some
-made the soldier taller and other tweaks here and there
-redid the sword

All in all, these already look great, especialkly the colors and lighting. These beg for some basic animations, just two or three frames for some elements like the wizard's flame spell, the fighter's sword and shield, and the dwarf's axe and right arm (and/or head).

The reason why I'm doing those is to have a good reason not to animate them  :D. I have my game on steam for which I'm doing tons of animations so I'm doing this for fun :). Then again, actually animating the miniature would give an interesting approach/style. I want to finish the four main characters first though.

No comment on the dwarf but I reworked it too. The new axe might be overkill though, dunno.

At the moment I find the dwarf pose more dynamic/less awkward than the other ones.

I'd like to work on a female rogue next.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 04:29:52 pm
I guess the previous versions are fine then.

First draft of the rogue:

Comments?

Offline Petrichor

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:33 pm
In terms of pose, the dwarf and rogue are a step in the right direction.  With static characters you have the advantage of using very dynamic, actiony poses.  If you look at real life fantasy miniatures you'll see that not many have a "boring" pose - as in hands at the side, standing straight up, ect.  Final Fantasy games are a good example as well.  Most enemies have a lot of "action" in their pose.  A wolf may be ready to pounce, a warrior may be ready to strike with their weapon, a person with a shield may look like they are actively defending (as in they are bracing against an attack which is not seen since they are representing a single entity).

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:43:51 pm
Ok. I redid the pose of the wizard, it was the miniature I liked the least:

Offline secretcat

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:12 pm
I think this is a much more interesting pose! Nice :)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 01:01:26 am
Cheers.

New soldier:

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 01:05:08 am
I really think the bakground could use some more contrast, some darker tones.