AuthorTopic: [C+C] Dungeon Crawler Tiles  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Petrichor

• View Profile

[C+C] Dungeon Crawler Tiles

on: March 01, 2017, 10:27:06 pm
I've been working on this today and I've gone through many iterations before feeling somewhat satisfied.

I am unsure of my shading on the bricks, specifically the dithering towards the bottom.  The top bricks were solidly shaded to show the difference between the two.  I'd also like some feedback on my choice of colours.

Just for fun here is the first iteration, made weeks ago, that was scrapped because it was too small.

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Dungeon Crawler Tiles

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:13:16 am
I don't have much to say from a technical standpoint, but WOW is it aesthetically pleasing! :)

EDIT: The old one I mean, that wasn't clear. The new one looks kind of bland comparatively.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:22:02 am
I like the smaller scale one lol. But they are both awesome. I guess if you are going to get more picky about that dither instead of finishing the game, well.. you won't finish it.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
At 1x the dither looks fine, it only becomes noticeable and looks a bit out of place zoomed in. So, if your game's going to be displayed at 1x, then leave it, if it'll be zoomed in (2x and up), then consider replacing it.

While the newer walls definitely look better, I like how the old ones had a more lively silhouette for the tops of them. The new wall's simple smooth bricks look comparatively boring. I think the big bricks make more sense and give the walls more volume, but you could make variant tiles with the bricks shifted, chipped, etc if you want to recapture that liveliness.

Offline Petrichor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:16 pm
Thanks for the replies!

The old one I mean, that wasn't clear. The new one looks kind of bland comparatively.
I agree, I really like the old one too...  Unfortunately it is a bit too small!

I guess if you are going to get more picky about that dither instead of finishing the game, well.. you won't finish it.
Ha, right?  Being a perfectionist is painful sometimes!  That being said, I find that half the fun is playing with art :)

I like how the old ones had a more lively silhouette for the tops of them. The new wall's simple smooth bricks look comparatively boring.
Definitely agree.  I wasn't 100% sure how I wanted to do the ceiling, and the old style didn't quite fit with the new one.  I haven't done any variant tiles yet, but I have removed the dithering and simply mimicked the ceiling pattern of the original.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:12 pm
The side tiles seem to have larger bricks for the wall-top than the front-view tiles. They're about the same length in pixels, but the side view bricks parts should be foreshortened.

Personally, I prefer the wider bricks you had earlier, but these smaller ones are a good solution if you want to have a good amount of variation without using additional tiles.

Offline Petrichor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 01:42:25 am
Right, I hadn't noticed the width of the side bricks! Thanks for pointing that out.  I've played around with the larger bricks again and added some weathering details.  In practice the shifting would be (somewhat) random rather than a regular repeating pattern.