AuthorTopic: Just a bit of fun.  (Read 9811 times)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: Just a bit of fun.

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 03:53:19 pm
That's harsh Larwick..You should look back at FF3 or 2.

Scotteh

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 04:12:31 pm
heh heh sorry couldn't help but laugh at that comment larwick
the green jumps out at me and slaps me round the face

and imageshakc resized the isometric peice, it is pixeled, i will upload it again with a smaller canvas :D

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 04:28:15 pm
That's harsh Larwick..You should look back at FF3 or 2.

And those are horrible examples to look at, and restriction-bound at that. So no, the palette is not good, neither are the tiles to be honest. The high saturation and contrast are really hard on the eyes, and so is the repetitiveness of the tiles and texture that makes it really busy. Before composing a mockup you should see that you have enough tiles to break it up and smooth it out more. Transition tiles between the different ground types for at the very least vertical and horizontal borders, diagonal ones provide even more possibilities to break the grid and make it more interesting. There are great examples of rpg tiles in the very tutorial you were inspired by. I'd say work at a slightly larger scale and don't texture anything manically, flat spaces can make for nice stylistic effects, and, most importantly, clarity. One of the most important things about how an image is perceived is the distribution of values. What you have here covers the darkest darks and the brightest brights in every tile, which makes it basically impossible to clearly make out neither dark nor bright objects, since it's already all over the place. My recomendation would be, that you look at other examples of professional work, and start over.
About the isometric piece, yes, please always crop the canvas to a reasonable size, and again, don't use too saturated colors. It seems to be a really early wip, on which I cannot comment much. I think you should work on it more until you get to a point where you yourself do not know anymore how to improve it and then post it again.

VicorR, you already have been notified about this, and if you keep posting such unelaborate posts at such a fast rate, you'll have your post-count zapped, because most of the time it seems that you are just posting to get it up. You are a top candidate for a strike.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:42:40 pm by miascugh »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 04:35:58 pm
And why would I want to get my post up? Zap them to 0 all you want I could care less about my post count. Keeping this community fun is what I try to do?! I didn't know all posts had to be strict to just critisizm and comment. Do what you want with my post count it means nothing to me.  ;)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 05:38:51 pm
And why would I want to get my post up? Zap them to 0 all you want I could care less about my post count. Keeping this community fun is what I try to do?! I didn't know all posts had to be strict to just critisizm and comment. Do what you want with my post count it means nothing to me.  ;)

Don't mean to derail this - but victor, i too have noticed that a lot of your posts seem to be rather pointless.  Perhaps try different activities from posting excessively on a forum.

I think the iso building you did has potential.  If you show the normal size - we can help you texture it and fix a lot of those shadow problems i can see.

the tiles are not bad for a first attempt - but they are just too eye-burning.  Tone down the colors aswell as fix it to a standard tilesize, 32x32 24x24 or 16x16.

Keep on trucking.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 05:55:16 pm
Again, you copied a tutorial.

http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=18

Instead of going from one thing to another, learn how to do something. Work on that grass, it's horrible, and I'm not going to let everyone treat it like a pink elephant.

This is a much better grass tutorial. Again, stop using mspaint colors.
http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=3&page=11

Scotteh

Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 06:09:27 pm
heres the isometric building again:

and heres a new tile set :huh:

Takai how have i copied the building? mines rectangular and that ones a square.. :mean:

and sorry its a habit it of mine (slaps self round the face) :hehe:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:15:25 pm by Scotteh »

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 06:15:54 pm
What miascugh called "distribuation of values" is so important that I like to emphasize it with this post. I myself keep forgetting this often enough when beeing busy with colour twisting and trying to be oh so smart. Thank's mia for hitting me with that club. Anyways scotteh the best way to learn is to actually do it. So continue to pixel and try to improve your started pieces. What's so great about the pixel err - can we call it community? - are the great crits and the tons of high-quality tutorials. Just check out the tutorial/link section here you will surely find something useful there too. Good hunting!

I don't understand why you're going for tiles so early. Try to get the pixel basics straight before diving into tiling.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:20:20 pm by Niss »