AuthorTopic: [CC] Luffy Arm Attack  (Read 2022 times)

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

[CC] Luffy Arm Attack

on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:56 pm

I can't seem to find a satisfying way of swinging his arm back to his body, its hard to find references since in the anime they rarely use these kinds of full body shots without some cuts. Thanks for any help in advance!
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [CC] Luffy Arm Attack

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:19:39 pm

Some various changes, originally I was going to keep it to frame timing changes (for example, I sped up the windup at parts and removed the pause at the ending) but I then went a bit further.

First, I added animation smearing to the recoil to simulate motion blur, which you can see pretty easily. The motion you had for the arm was pretty much on point, so I didn't faff about much further with it beyond adding a bit where the arm recoils backwards a bit, for more of a hefty effect to it. It's hard to see, but there's a frame where I added some of the arm color over the backpack.
Finally, I shifted his weight backwards onto one leg, then forwards again, before he finally catches his footing again from the punch!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:14:27 pm
Wow, the shifting is weight is really cool, this is definitely something i'll keep in mind. I also  see that the motion blur solves the issue I had with the arms a lot.
You get in the bowl

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:24:07 pm
Aye, motion blur helps a ton with more extreme movements! It's easy to do if you have onionskins too. Essentially, what you want to use it for is to emulate a between-frame without actually drawing one. So, for example, this:

becomes THIS (with one less frame, even!)

Animation smears follow the same general concepts of normal animation, but they're VERY handy for quick movements and you can see them a lot. One punch man notably does a lot with them, if you need something excellent to study!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |