AuthorTopic: [C+C] Fire Emblem-esque Mugshot  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

[C+C] Fire Emblem-esque Mugshot

on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:28 am
Hi! I'm making mugshots from a game, and I'd really appreciate some help with polishing this first one before I turn it in. Comments and critique on all parts are welcome, but I'd also like to hear if there's a better way of coloring the black scarf. It just doesn't seem to come across as black to me. Thanks!

Oh, and as a note, it'll be used scaled twice its size in the game.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:47:00 am by Sinceriously »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Fire Emblem-esque Mugshot

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:12:27 am

Pretty excellent stuff! In addition to some minor tweaks to the left cheek highlight and the small hair bobbins on the right, the biggest thing I've done here is simply break up/recolor the outlines to better match the colors.
The hair is where it's most noticeable, as well as the left cheek.

Do note I couldn't apply this everywhere, the white shirt didn't look right without the outline, or at least not with the blue shade you used there. Perhaps a yellowy outline to give it an eggshell look, I don't really know!

There was also an almost imperceptible problem with his shawl where it was actually a gradient, but with values so similar it couldn't be seen by my eyes. I went ahead and flattened that out to reduce color count!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:10:02 am

the biggest thing I've done here is simply break up/recolor the outlines to better match the colors.
The hair is where it's most noticeable, as well as the left cheek.

Oh, I originally made the outer outlines black because I was thinking the lighter outlines wouldn't sit well on dark backgrounds. Do you think the lighter outlines would work fine with them?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Honestly it depends, i didn't really think of that!

I played a lot of sacred Stones as a kid and I vaguely recall everything having a background box of some sort. It's been a while though.
 Try it out over a couple backgrounds, you might be able to sidestep any problems entirely if you make proper use of negative space if it's not working out there!

Obviously not always a solution, of course, forest environments would be troublesome for example.  The colors should be dark enough for contrast in most cases, maybe keep the original around as an alt for tricky environments?
On my phone, sorry for rambling!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |