AuthorTopic: hero of time  (Read 25832 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: hero of time

Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 11:08:39 pm
well.. I dont see the harm in explaining why Im using link here.
the other day I was thinking about all these 3d games that look great but consist of almost no real content, and I started thinking of a game with absolutely no content other than a main character and a world, you'd just walk around and explore.. then I realised thats pretty much the first demo almost every indie game makes and almost all every fangame ever makes.
so, as a parody to fangames and a graphical showcase showing off my tiles and sprites, there isnt much reason for anyone to care about it.
so i figured using Link's likeness would help in gaining a bit of attention.

so yeah, its not much of a game to begin with, and Im just using link to fill a little of the huge void of content
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 12:25:49 am
Uh, personally speaking, I find no merit in that reasoning at all. Why don't you devote your creative energy, which you'll find as years pass to be dreadfully finite, into something you believe in, is completely your own and will eventually be something to be proud of?

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 03:58:06 am
Forget my edit.  I was gonna make the green more saturated, but It seems like im the only one who wants the colours changed.  OH well. 

However, looking sweet.  I think you should turn the body a bit when he walks, because he seems really robotic without it. 

As for an answer to all the complaints as to you making another character, I think you should finish all these, then  get the animation base, and base a new original character on that, if you wanted to solve those complaints and not waste this. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:11 am
Uh, personally speaking, I find no merit in that reasoning at all. Why don't you devote your creative energy, which you'll find as years pass to be dreadfully finite, into something you believe in, is completely your own and will eventually be something to be proud of?
I get what youre saying, and if I planned on making a real game I would absolutely use my own characters.
I will ofcourse keep these sprites as bases for perhaps a real project in the future

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 08:53:45 am
Are you doing more on these?  I want to see a sword slash at least :D
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:53 am
well, since i dont own any copyrights to link I cant profit from it, but thanks :P
made a gif out of almost everything Ive made so far:

looking good so far.. and why dont u make up an original charicter... just use the same animation.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #46 on: October 28, 2006, 11:58:13 am
Are you doing more on these?  I want to see a sword slash at least :D
while I would like to answer this post with a new animation, sadly Ive been lazy :P
and sword slash, I doubt I'll make one, if I do it wont be for this project and probably for a new character.
looking good so far.. and why dont u make up an original charicter... just use the same animation.
for shallow attention grabbing ;)

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 12:10:07 pm
but u use link because its a well known character, but once, link was made up. and no one knew about him. so surely if u were able to designa  character.. and then make a game out of it. u could create a new character that everyone loves. if that makes sence. i would honestly by this game as it looks so good.

i think if u keep it as fan art it would be a waste of such good designs and tiles.
Nixel Art

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: October 28, 2006, 12:13:34 pm
I hope this is of some help and you are still working on this little project - I am really excited about what you might be able to produce.

Your sideways walk cycle looks as someone said 'a bit like a wind up doll' - this is because the knees do not bend correctly.  Here are two great links for working on walk cycles that explain your solutions much better than I could in a comment;

http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

&

http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

Keep it up!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #49 on: October 30, 2006, 10:38:20 am
thanks for the advice willfaulds, I finally started on the back view walk cycle:

I dont really want to mention the things that drive me crazy, because I think that might draw your attention to them more when they might not be a big deal otherwise, please crit away