AuthorTopic: I'm new to Pixeling...help me!  (Read 5827 times)

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

I'm new to Pixeling...help me!

on: October 19, 2006, 11:18:42 pm
OK. I just got started with this pixel thing like now. OK maybe it was a week or two ago, but I haven't really done anything yet. I started liking this when I saw a picture on Deviant Art, and got interested. A google search later and I found some really cool stuff, then realized "OMG My video games are pixel art!!" :o And trust me. I REALLY like my video games. So now I need help. I need to know how to "trace" my sketches with MS Paint. And can anyone tell me where some good tutorials are? Any other tips you can tell me that would be cool. Oh ya right now I want to learn how to make Sprites, Animate sprites (well after I get good at making sprites) and maybe some Isometric stuff. ( -_-" sorry too long) And I've checked around google for tutorials, and I got none that were really good, so I'm not just being completely lazy. Oh ya someone tell me how to add an avatar on to your profile (please) . I tried using a photo bucket thing but that didn't seem to work. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:41:53 pm by TheAbyss »
Japan + Canada = Japanada

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: I'm new to Pixeling...help me!

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:56:25 pm
Hello and welcome to Pixelation!  If you're interested in pixel art, you've come to the right place.

For tutorials, check the (pinned for easy reference) tools, tutorials, and links threadSt0ven's site has some especially good tutorials for beginners.

Concerning your avatar issue: Assuming you were just putting the link to your avatar on photobucket in the provided blank, the problem you may be having is that there is a 128x128 pixel size limit.  If your avatar is larger, it won't display.

Again, welcome to Pixelation.  Post some art, get some critique, give some critique, and enjoy your stay.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 11:59:17 pm
Hi and welcome :p glad to hear you've heard the call of the pixel, as rob said you've come to the right place.

While there are a few good newbie tutorials out there, there aren't a lot of good tutorials on tracing lineart because there's really no magic to it at all.  You'll eventually click into your own groove and find a method for making lineart that works best for you.  In the meantime don't be afraid to jump in and experiment,  and post your results in the pixel art board, even if you don't like it.  The feedback you get from trying something first and posting the result will be a zillion times more useful than what you'll get from a post with a question and no art, even if you try and fail.  Actually, ESPECIALLY if you try and fail.

Best of luck and happy pixeling!
typing ewith fdace

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:22:01 am
Thank you!  ;D That was really helpfull, I'm going to check out those tutorials and try a new avatar. But I still want to know HOW exactly do you trace line art. *EDIT* Ok I've figured out how to add the avatar, but when you check off the "I have my own avatar" thing, does that mean you had to have made your own?? Or can u just get it off a site? Cause that's what I did. It's totally random I just felt like having an avatar.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:59:01 am by TheAbyss »

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 12:55:40 pm
Hm, I don't know of an easy way to trace lineart with MSPaint. I use Photoshop, where I can put the lineart on one layer, and create a second layer on top of it for drawing the lines. I guess you could try free programs with layers like GIMP for that job.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 01:04:47 pm
In response to your avatar question, you don't have to have made your own, but most people on here did make their own.  Once you've got some art that you feel comfortable having as your avatar, you can switch it over to that, but for now, someone else's art is fine.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:42:38 pm
Thnx again. And I am going to use this Paint program a downloaded called Paint.NET (and it has layers) to trace lineart. Ok another avatar question, when you make youre own, how do you make it see through?? like the backround? (like mine, goats, and roboalan's) *edit* Also I hosted this little thing I made on photobucket and it wont work....and no it wasnt past the pixel X pixel limit. *Edit....again* Also I need to know how to animate.....sprites. mostly....ya
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:56:36 pm by TheAbyss »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 07:57:10 pm
Assuming you have your lineart on the machine (drawn within your favorite application, scanned, or by photograph), then you'll need to know about certain features in various graphics applications.

The best way to get your lineart ready for tracework is by adjusting the settings on your program that determine how interpolation is handled for the resizing of images. Interpolation can either be none/nearest-neigbhor, bilinear, or bicubic, assuming you have this option in your program. (May be other options I don't know about).

For best results, Bilinear is suggested for reducing grayscale work, since it leaves your art a little bit crisper and curves stay a little more true than with bicubic interpolation, which can muddle details with a slight blur.

I'll assume you have a tool with either channel or layer support.

Either set up an extra layer and put your original in a lower layer that you can pixel over without affecting the source, or use channels. With channels, you usually have Red, Geen, and Blue channels, and then you can create additional channels, which are often treated as 'alpha' when converting to png. In Photoshop, a channel with your lineart can create a 'ghost' of the original in a monochromatic color, and you can adjust the intensity of the color so it's just visible to be useful, and you can toggle the channel on and off to check how you're doing. It's always better to use an additional channel or layer when possible, so you don't have to muddy your image up with details from the original. If you don't have an alternative, then you'll want to use the Levels adjuster, brightness/contrast, and posterization to reduce your traced lines to a convenient few tones, ready to be tweaked and receive some color fills.

I hope this is helpful.

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:50 pm
Yes that was helpfull. Ima go try that out right now. *Edit* Anyone with Paint.NET???? I like it better than MSPaint, but I don't know how to dump.....like colors. The bucket thingie dumps color into the whole picture....so....HOW???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:33:26 pm by TheAbyss »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 04:10:13 am
Try and find something called Tolerance. The option for it should appear when you select the Fill tool.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)