AuthorTopic: [C+C] Boombox  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

[C+C] Boombox

on: February 20, 2017, 11:15:46 pm
Boombox I've been working on latelty. It took me some time and tbh I'm pretty pround of it but I'm sure It got a lot of flaws and can be much better.

Looking foward to critique and tips.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [C+C] Boombox

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:47 am
Watch your perspective, it's not making sense currently:

The boombox's sides have different vanishing points, and the tape seems to get wider on the side away from the viewer. The boombox and tape also don't seem to be on the same plane.
Objects on the same plane share a horizon (but not necessarily vanishing points - those depend on the objects' orientations).

Alternatively, use a parallel projection instead of perspective. In a parallel projection, lines that are parallel in reality are parallel in the drawing (so the boombox's sides would all have the same-slope lines, for example). I think for something at this scale, it'd look better to have (correct) perspective though. Parallel projections look fine at small scales, but look uncanny at larger scales because viewers have a better idea of what those things should look like (with perspective).

Offline Franrek

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:19:36 pm
Ok thx. So I guess I should change the right side go with the blue line?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:16 pm
Not necessarily, since the speakers and buttons on the front don't correspond to that, so following the blue line would make the boombox look lopsided. I think instead you should tweak the sides to meet at an entirely different, more distant vanishing point. Then, use the horizon line from that VP to tweak the tape case.

You could use the speakers as a guide to calculate the perspective mathematically, but I think just guessing a line perpendicular to the middle of the boombox and extending it until you find a VP that makes the sides look good should do. Perspective in pixel art is rarely exact anyway, since pixel-precision is more important for making things look good.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:59:42 pm by eishiya »